Possible Eames doub...

Possible Eames double triangle (?) red orange rocker identification help  

RSS

adl
 adl
(@adl)
22/09/2021 3:47 pm  

Hi there,

I picked up this red orange rocker chair chair in a garage sale — I think it might be Eames but I’m not sure as I’ve never seen a double triangle stamp like this before — any insight or help would be so appreciated! Thank you. 

1632318488-92CDE681-989A-4EFC-A891-AC962DAE9C98.jpeg
This topic was modified 3 years ago 2 times by adl

adl
 adl
(@adl)
22/09/2021 3:49 pm  

Here’s one more photo of the chair ! 

1632318563-55F5351D-94E5-439D-80B9-C6F07DBE8DFC.jpeg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
28/09/2021 6:01 pm  

@adl,  Authentic Eames molded under contract by plastics division of General American Transportation Corporation, Chicago, Illinois approximately late 1950's - early '60's. If there is also an "S" molded nearby the double triangle, it's by Summit Plastics after they were supplied molds used by GATC.

ReplyQuote
Natalie
(@natalie)
12/12/2021 1:16 am  

The problem with lying is its easy to get caught. So silly over this. You bought this from my husband and I. The picture is right outside our house and you took it for way to cheap, I wasn't home and you lowballed my husband who didn't know better. It was not a garage sale and he showed you on the Eames website that it was real. This is why I'm not selling any more of my fathers collection to you. Again, so dumb to lie about this.

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
12/12/2021 11:30 am  

Hi @Natalie , I sympathise with your situation. Especially as it was your father's chair and therefore it probably had intangible value to you. I've certainly been in your shoes (though not with a nice piece of design).

However, I am not sure this is the correct place to air grievances. We don't particularly like discussing money or transactions here, and we certainly don't want to encourage confrontation. 

Maybe this is an opportunity to reasses whether you want to sell the rest of your father's collection at all.

ReplyQuote
Natalie
(@natalie)
12/12/2021 4:04 pm  

I have no issue with anyone other than this woman who continues to openly lie for no reason. If anything this is a bit of a red flag for anyone dealing with her in the future. She claims she bought this at a garage sale to create this barn find excitement yet we sold it to her directly from our family home and my husband clearly showed her the Eames site where they list the double triangle as an official chair stamp and she still claims she knows nothing about the markings. Isn’t anyone else finding this extremely odd? I’ve inherited a large collection from my father and we’ve only sold a few pieces, we’ve always been more than fair with prices but this woman just couldn’t be fair and took advantage that I wasn’t there. She also continued to hound my husband for other pieces and again played dumb to their value. We don’t have to reconsider selling what we have, we’ve had it all evaluated and it will be sold by a dealer for us, the money will go towards my mothers last years. We simple won’t deal with someone who lies, takes advantage of people and openly plays dumb to rip people off. 

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
12/12/2021 6:42 pm  

You've flagged it up and I'm sure we'll all be very keen-eyed in regards to posts made by this user now. Ideally we wouldn't have this kind of drama on the forum and I really shouldn't be trying to mediate. But I do think it's important to consider these counterpoints:

If your professional evaluation is feuling this concern over the amount of money you received for the chair, perhaps it's worth reiterating why we don't talk about money here. It's because valuations are entirely fallible, and the actual value of any piece of design is what someone/many people are willing to pay for it on the day.

It does not appear she was lying about knowing whether or not it's genuine. She bought it first and then posted it here to check with people who may know about the double triangle logo. And as for the representation of a private sale as a "garage sale", it does look like the chair's photo was taken outside the front of a house; perhaps near a garage?

Finally and most pertinently. Unless this lady stole the chair or blackmailed your husband into the sale, it is the seller's responsibility to agree a price they're happy with. If your husband didn't know it's value, he should not have sold it, and that's a discussion you and he should have. Unfortunately it really is that simple.

ReplyQuote
Natalie
(@natalie)
03/06/2022 11:08 pm  

My notes were more about how trustworthy this woman is. For no real good reason I can fathom she came on the sight and openly lied about where she got the chair. It’s silly because she could have simply said hi I just bought this chair for 500.00can can anyone tell me anything about it? My husband even gave her a print out and web address to the official Eames site we’re all the info on this chair is located. It was clear it was a double triangle Eames rat but for some reason she needs attention. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register