Cart

Ole Wanscher/French...

Ole Wanscher/French&Son Chair ID  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

SnakeJake
(@snakejake)
13/01/2020 11:52 pm  

I am trying to find which model chair I have. Below is the text of the email I sent to French & Son which explains most of what I am looking to find. Their reply was it was too old, and would or could not provide any further information. The rocking chair does not appear to be a FD108, FD120 or FD160. I have never posted here, and it appears I will not be able to attach more than one picture per post. I may have to do multiple posts to display the 5 pictures I have. I would greatly appreciate any information. Richard

"I recently found this unique distressed rocking chair, and I plan on restoring it. But I would like to know exactly which model I am working with here. I have searched the internet till I am blue in the face, and cannot find any picture or reference to this particular model.

What I think I know is:

1) It was designed by Ole Wanscher

2) It was sold by John Stuart, Inc.(USA) on or before 1956

3) It was produced by French & Son (your company) on or before 1956

4) French & Son serial # 6320030

5) It is probably teak wood

I have identified your badge along with seller’s on the rear crossmember or rail, but there is a third badge on the front crossmember that I have not identified.

What I would like to know:

1) Model of this chair

2) Year(s) of production

3) What the third badge indicates?

4) Do the cushions appear to be original color?, If so, what is the color called, and the fabric material?

5) What was the original finish on the wood?

I have found very similar chairs, but none have had the same arms, back, or third badge. I think I do a pretty good job of searching the internet, and I have looked at probably over a thousand pictures. It is driving me crazy.

I found this chair at the end of the day at a flea market in Southern California, and was probably headed to the trash heap if I did not buy it($15). I liked the looks of the lines, it’s construction, and it is comfortable. I plan on restoring the chair, which I  have never done before, but will research that too. Then finding a place in my home for it.

I am just a curious guy who knows quality when he sees it, and this chair speaks to me. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of my assumptions. If you could provide me with any further information it would be most appreciated."

1578955933-WanscherChairComplete.jpg

SnakeJake
(@snakejake)
13/01/2020 11:53 pm  

Frame

1578956001-frame.jpg

ReplyQuote
SnakeJake
(@snakejake)
13/01/2020 11:54 pm  

Side

1578956059-side.jpg

ReplyQuote
SnakeJake
(@snakejake)
13/01/2020 11:55 pm  

Rear badges

1578956123-RearBadges.jpg

ReplyQuote
SnakeJake
(@snakejake)
13/01/2020 11:56 pm  

Front badge

1578956172-3rdBadge.jpg

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
14/01/2020 12:52 am  

Hi, never seen this chair, although I thought that I know every France & Son chair, but you never stop learning.

I can only give a hint that the label in front means Sigvard Bernadotte, he was a swedish designer, maybe this could help for further investigations.

ReplyQuote
SnakeJake
(@snakejake)
14/01/2020 12:56 am  

That solves one mystery, thanks so much.

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
14/01/2020 1:03 am  

Well, I looked around and found it seems to be a design of Sigvard Bernadotte for France & Son

ReplyQuote
SnakeJake
(@snakejake)
14/01/2020 1:10 am  

mvc, you are absolutely right, and I guess it was not designed by Wanscher, thank you again

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
14/01/2020 1:18 am  

Regarding the type of wood, it is always difficult to determine it using photos only, but I am pretty sure it's teak.

Seems the chair has been misused as garden chair 😎 

ReplyQuote
SnakeJake
(@snakejake)
14/01/2020 4:29 am  

Yes, it appears to have spent some time outdoors. Being SoCal it is probably mostly sun damage. Most of the finish is gone, so getting down to clean wood should be easy with some sandpaper, well, here's hoping so.

Unlike the chairs designed by Wanscher that could be made in teak or rosewood(maybe more), it appears those designed by Sigvard Bernadotte only were done in teak, and I'll treat it as such.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
14/01/2020 12:18 pm  

Yes, it's Sigvard Bernadotte for France and Son. Fun fact: Bernadotte was the son of the Swedish king Gustav IV Adolf, he worked as a designer for all his very long life, drew tons of designs for silverware, kitchen equipment and industrial devices. But this is (along with a similar FS-model I believe) the only chair design he ever did. Usually France and Son (not French) didn't have an extra plate for the designer's name. But since Sigvard Bernadotte was a member of the Swedish Royal Family, it was natural that he would have one. 

The wood must be teak. At the time, the chair was produced, France and Son didn't use any other wood (as far as I know).

And: The mail you wrote was in vain. France and Son was sold to Povl Cadovious  around 1965, the company was renamed Cado around 1968 and stopped production around 1980. The company that now sells furniture under the name France and Son has nothing to do with the original one.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
14/01/2020 12:31 pm  

The finish was just oil. I might even be able to give you the production year, but I have to check it when I'm at home.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
14/01/2020 1:50 pm  

I kinda like the bleached patina. It's part of the chair's history and makes it unique. If the joints are still solid, I'd reupholster in appropriate new fabric, clean and re-oil the frame, and call it good.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
16/01/2020 5:56 am  

Here is the catalog cut for the more common arm chair version of this design. Wood options were for both teak and beech. Many France and Daverkosen pieces were available in beech. In fact, most early pieces were beech, until they started using carbide blades for cutting teak in the early 50’s.

1579150598-D8175AB6-E621-4B5F-9C5E-8CD3C7231146.jpeg

tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register