26/03/2018 6:44 pm  

Hi there.

I recently came upon this chair and as exhaustively as I

_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
26/03/2018 11:00 pm  

I don't know if you read this thread posted here awhile ago...the last image posted looks like the one you have.

https://www.designaddict.com/forum/Identification/Nakashima-straight-chairs

ReplyQuote
katemills
(@katemills)
26/03/2018 11:34 pm  

I did and I was actually hoping you would respond since you seemed the most knowledgeable!

I didn't feel like there was any real resolution on the last set of pictures except for someone saying "ugh" to copies, but it didn't seem to have a clear "yes, this is a fake." It was noted that the hoop wasn't supposed to be parallel to the floor, and my hoop doesn't point towards the floor like that one does. The spindles are indeed almost exactly like the last set as well (and I'm not sure if that means they were hand shaved or faceted). Yes the seat is flat, but as I noted before, in the interviews Mira gave, she says the prototypes had flat seats. I've tried to find photos of fakes or replicas and all I know is that this chair is definitely old. So if it's a reproduction, it's a very old one and I'm ok with that.

You made mention of the marks left behind when using hand tools or a saw blade, and I tried to include those in my photos hoping that would shed some light. I am a novice and have really tried to figure this all out on my own, but am left with more questions than answers!

If there was a .000001% chance this was an early prototype, my concern is with treating it as such. Ie. Keeping it safe and away from my kids and spray paint! I'd also want to insure it and make sure it stays safe.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
27/03/2018 12:37 am  

I don't know if it is just the camera angle but those horizontal braces from your chair looks lower. I measured my chair(s), the horizontal brace piece on the back legs is about 2 3/4" on center from the underside of the seat (same with the front piece) & the side piece is about 4" on center or somewhere in those numbers.

Unless the seat of your chair was sanded in the past using a power sander, the flat seat is just so not Nakashima, unless you can find documentations...

Even if your chair ends up being a look alike, it is still a nice modern reinterpretation of the traditional Windsor chairs. Use it & enjoy it the way it was intended to be.

ReplyQuote
katemills
(@katemills)
27/03/2018 12:54 am  

I actually sent an inquiry into an appraiser earlier, and he suggested I contact Mira or John at the studio directly so I did just that.

I heard back not too long ago from Mira herself and she said it's "one of the Nakashima-designed chairs manufactured by Knoll Associates in the mid

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
15/08/2018 10:12 pm  

Here is another Nakashima Straight chair look alike listed at Chairish as a McCobb style chair. This example is marked and although it also looks the part, it is a look alike.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register