Ernest Rams
(@ernest-rams)
Famed Member
14/12/2017 9:50 pm  

Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
15/12/2017 1:40 am  

There are late Koefoeds Hornslet (don't want to say Niels Koefoed as I have no idea if he designed them as they were late) designs that this reminds me of. Those are solid teak, but from multiple planks glued together, as you might see the with construction of a solid wood table top, then lightly shaped/sculpted after that.

This looks to me as if it could be of a similar construction. Not the most delicate Danish design, so it's not high on my list.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
15/12/2017 3:29 am  

I have seen one of these in person and I remember the backrest being solid teak. It was marked Mogens Kold. Hovmand Olsen is very, very likely the designer.

The fact that the back is solid teak creates a bit of a wood movement problem. Since teak does not expand and contract much, perhaps it is within tolerances, but there is not much rear stile to flex before the seat joint. It is entirely possible that these chairs would not survive well through large humidity fluctuations.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
15/12/2017 3:32 am  

Staved construction as Kyle has noted.

ReplyQuote
Ernest Rams
(@ernest-rams)
Famed Member
15/12/2017 3:28 pm  

I agree, just too much wood. Is that possible that I can't find any of those with a google search ? I doubt it's such a rare piece.

Cheers

Ernest

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
15/12/2017 4:29 pm  

http://www.reevesantiqueshouston.com/portfolio/set-modern-danish-chairs-...

I suspect the design was not offered for long and that there was a high casualty rate because of the wood movement problem.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register