Design Addict

Cart

KS Møbel/ Korup Sto...

KS Møbel/ Korup Stolefabrik/ Korup Design AS  

RSS

jbrajo
(@jbrajo)
20/08/2020 6:13 am  

I recently picked up a single teak barstool without any marks, but google searched my way to a consistent ID as made by Korup Stolefabrik. Today I found a 1st Dibs ad for the stool but with a padded leather seat top on the same base with a label “Korup Design AS Made in Denmark”.   I also have a teak dining chair by Henning Kjaernulf marked "KS Møbel Made in Denmark”.  Are these all really the same company?  Different companies located in Korup Denmark? Different time periods? Another question, the stool has exposed hex bolts as part of the design and the shop I bought it from had a sofa with similar simple lines in teak with the same hex bolts. I think they came from the same estate and were from the same original furniture source but no googling has given me any sofas with any of the KS/Korup combos...

1597896786-2507B4E7-2455-42A1-B881-9AED541DCAF5.jpeg

cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
20/08/2020 4:08 pm  

all of these marks are for Korup Stolefabrik.

1597932512-korup.jpg

jbrajo and tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
jbrajo
(@jbrajo)
20/08/2020 7:46 pm  

Thank you cdsilva. Any chance of knowing which marks were used during specific timeframes?

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
21/08/2020 12:37 pm  

@jbrajo Unfortunately there hasn't been any official documentation of Korups product range available anywhere in the net. Korup Stolefabrik was founded in 1948 and active until 2002. To me, the K.S. mark looks as if it was the first, but it must have had been used until the sixties. The silver sticker was used in the 90s because the company changed their name around 1990 from Korup Stolefabrik to Korup Design. Everythin else I would place inbetween. 

Who designed for Korup is also a mystery. I'm not sure how reliable the Henry Kjaernulf attribution is.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
21/08/2020 3:48 pm  

Herringbone, the DFI has two Korup chairs attributed to Kjaernulf with the following source:

Designmuseum Danmark The Library, I 17695:11, The Furniture Fair Denmark 1965 p.118

I don't know what the source is, but what would be your reason for doubting that reliability?

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
23/08/2020 10:26 am  

Just the fact that quite a few sources of the dfi have turned out not reliable. I also don’t know this source, so I can’t estimate how reliable it is. But I‘ve learned not to trust the dfi unconditionally. Although many of the attributions of course are correct.

I would love to believe the attribution by the way. Many of the small companies only worked with just one architect. So a reliable Kjærnulf attribution would increase the chance that many if not all of the famous Korup designs were drawn by Henry Kjærnulf.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
jbrajo
(@jbrajo)
24/08/2020 1:14 am  

@herringbone @cdsilva Thank you both for your insights. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register