Kai Kristiansen cha...

Kai Kristiansen chairs ?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Chaps
(@chaps)
07/03/2018 3:21 pm  

Dears,

I need some light to identify a set of chairs. The first one is in its original condition, ie red skai (cf picture). On the second one, the yellow skai has been replaced. These two are both dated in 1963 as indicated on the labelling.

The rounded backrest looks really like Kai Kristiansen Model 42, unfortunately shape is slightly different. I've so far not been able to identify them. Any idea of what is could be ?

Cheers

Chaps
dsc0564copier.jpgdsc0566copier.jpg

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
07/03/2018 4:05 pm  

Not Kai Kristiansen.

ReplyQuote
Chaps
(@chaps)
07/03/2018 9:40 pm  

Thanks Leif,

I'm sure you made the correction by yourself, similar model from KK is not n

ReplyQuote
DrPoulet
(@drpoulet)
Illustrious Member
08/03/2018 12:01 am  

Hi.

The tag is in German. I would find it odd that a chair produced in Sweden and sold to a French shop would have a tag written in German. Plus the upholstery nails do not look too 1960s scandinavian to me (upholstery looks original or at least consistent with what is written on the tag)

Assuming 1 S Stockholm stands for 1 St

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
08/03/2018 12:21 am  

You are right, dr, S stands for St

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Chaps
(@chaps)
08/03/2018 10:03 am  

Dr Poulet,

Good point regarding the tag written in German.

Herringbone,

Meubles Ramades in Albi were not the resellers, as I thought, but the markers, you are right ! (cf picture)

Identification almost completed, thanks to all. And let's keep a slight mistery about the German labelling.

Best regards

Chaps

ReplyQuote
DrPoulet
(@drpoulet)
Illustrious Member
08/03/2018 11:35 pm  

I don

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
09/03/2018 1:23 am  

My german is not rusty at all and this surely is a transportation tag, but nevertheless it remains totally unclear whether the chairs were coming from or going to France. We won't solve this, these chairs are either made in France or in Germany, they were sold under the name Stockholm, their seats and backrests were covered in plastic and they were definitely not designed by Kai Kristiansen.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Chaps
(@chaps)
09/03/2018 1:23 pm  

Thanks for your link and comments.

Herringbone please don't take me wrong, there is nothing about your German knowledge! I just meant that a mistery would remain and specifically due to the fact the labelling is in German. This is my english which seems rusty...

If allowed, and if one of you knows, it would be nice to have the date when the first KK n

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
09/03/2018 3:12 pm  

Haha, no, I was referring to DrPoulet, who said that his German is a bit rusty and that's why he might be wrong with his interpretation. I just answered that my German is fine - since I am German - but that nevertheless I cannot say wheter the chairs were coming from or going to france. No offence taken 🙂

You read in the internet that no 31 was drawn by Kristiansen in 1956. I don't have any proof of this since I do not own any Schou Andersen catalogues but you may take it as a guideline.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
09/03/2018 3:48 pm  

The label was printed up in German and used German abbreviations. This strongly suggests it originated with a German speaker not a French speaker. And if you are the maker why do you have to type your name into the tag every time with a typewriter? No, I think you leave tha blank for the ever changing destination.

Meubles Ramade easily could have been a retailer and maker.

And going back to the language thing. German and French, 18 years after then end of war, were not just any two brotherly languages. One of them invaded and occupied the other, and then vice versa, while it was demonstrated that atrocities such as the holocaust were happening in Germany. So was a Frenchman going to print up delivery tags in German and use fancy German abbreviations? No. Definitely not. Definitely not.

It is a German chair.

ReplyQuote
Chaps
(@chaps)
09/03/2018 5:57 pm  

Thanks both of you. I'm deeply in favour of your analysis Lief.

A last point I just discovered :

It's funny to notice that my old German chairs are quite similar with the Handy NV31 chair presented in 2014 by Miyazaki chair Factory in partership with Kai Kristiansen. Especially the red one 😉

http://www.archiexpo.fr/prod/miyazaki-chair-factory/product-142587-15361...

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
09/03/2018 7:41 pm  

Yes, knockoffs chairs tend to resemble the design of the chairs they are knocking off.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
09/03/2018 11:06 pm  

Leif: You are probably right but you didn

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
09/03/2018 11:52 pm  

My apologies. I actually intended it as a part of the reasoning not as something to harass the Germans, but yes, I suppose I could have left that part out.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register