Design Addict

Cart

Interesting (maybe ...

Interesting (maybe beautiful) walnut occasional chair.  

RSS

Marwood_
(@marwood_)
28/06/2023 8:30 pm  

Liked the arms on this chair, so I picked it up. I’ve never seen one before, and am unable to find it using lens, or a dozen various keyword searches.

It kinda has a bit of a Jens Risom body, in proportions, and style (‘rounded’ square, tapered legs) with some beautiful curved arms, a bit like Finn Juhl 45’s.

Was assured it was Danish, but leaning toward American.

At a complete loss to ID, hoping someone can help me out.

As always, very appreciative of any input.

1687977037-image1.jpeg
1687990053-image2.jpeg
1687990119-image4.jpeg
This topic was modified 10 months ago 5 times by Marwood_

Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
05/08/2023 9:38 pm  

Hey @marwood_, nice chair. Looks like someone had a partly successful try on a Finn Juhl like armrest. Think it’s an American production. Maybe @mark737 can do an image search?  

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

Marwood_ liked
ReplyQuote
Marwood_
(@marwood_)
06/08/2023 2:44 am  

Thanks for  your input, @herringbone. This is a bit of a tease. It is the usual ‘could drop it from 4 floors, and still survive’ walnut American chair, with a bit of extra effort in design. Surprised, after 10’s of hours searching, it has not shown up. Hopefully Mark can chime in with some insight.

Always appreciative!

Scott

ReplyQuote
Marwood_
(@marwood_)
06/08/2023 2:58 am  

If nothing else, ‘partly successful try on a Finn Juhl like armrest’ gave me a near belly laugh…

Thank you for that, you (perhaps) inadvertent wordsmith 😉

(was intended as a compliment)

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
06/08/2023 3:26 pm  

@marwood_ Haha, you're welcome. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
08/08/2023 5:17 am  

@herringbone @marwood  I agree it is a nice, maybe beautiful, chair and I did do some image and keyword searches last month and again today but did not find a match.   I thought I was getting warm when I found an Edward Axel Roffman chair with a similar arm shape, because it would make sense for a somewhat obscure maker like that to be responsible, but that too was a dead end. As always, I did learn about some new designers, such as Phillip Lloyd Powell and  Erwin Lambeth, so not a total waste of time.

ReplyQuote
Marwood_
(@marwood_)
08/08/2023 5:17 pm  

Thanks for taking a look, and taking the time to comment!

The hunt is is always enlightening, even with the frustration of continual dead ends. Ultimately, I have this bit of curiosity in my possession, for which I have some appreciation.

As always, @Herringbone and @Mark737, your time and comments are always greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Marwood_
(@marwood_)
08/08/2023 5:33 pm  

Powell’s ‘New Hope Chair’ is pretty spectacular! 

Strange that the designer of a beautiful $15,000 chair has just slipped by my notice, all of these years 😉

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
09/08/2023 5:36 am  

You are quite welcome.  The New Hope chair is beautiful but if I were in the position to buy $15K chairs, I might go with this Powell model.  

1691552179-PLP.jpg

Marwood_ liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register