ID of two chairs  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Ernest Rams
(@ernest-rams)
Famed Member
10/01/2018 7:49 pm  

Dear all,

on a local webpage I found these two chairs hidden behind tables for sale. The chairs are not included in the offer, nor offered as separate items.

I was wondering whether anybody could help me with the ID, mainly out of curiosity. Sorry for the bad quality images but that's all I have.

Thank you and all the best

Ernest.
untitled.jpeguntitled1.jpeg

henjon
(@henjon)
Eminent Member
11/01/2018 1:00 pm  

The armchair certainly resembles Wegner's PP501 The Chair, but as mentioned the picture is less than optimal

ReplyQuote
Ernest Rams
(@ernest-rams)
Famed Member
11/01/2018 1:01 pm  

For the first chair, could it be a copy of a Wegner chair? The armrests have features that are significantly different.

The second chair: I have seen the armrests somewhere else, it reminds me of something like Ole Wanscher or Wikkelso.

Any idea is appreciated.

Thanks

Ernest

ReplyQuote
henjon
(@henjon)
Eminent Member
11/01/2018 2:17 pm  

I guess you refer to e.g. the armrest not extending past the front leg to form a "handle" etc. Yes, perhaps exceedingly "inspired by".

ReplyQuote
Ernest Rams
(@ernest-rams)
Famed Member
12/01/2018 3:46 pm  

It looks like this household has some interesting chairs, here is another one not for sale. I can't understand why the guy is selling all these tables but not the chairs.

I think this is the same chair that Dr. Poulet identified a few months ago thanks to Leif, I remember the story of the soapwood.

Cheers

Ernest

ReplyQuote
Ernest Rams
(@ernest-rams)
Famed Member
12/01/2018 3:47 pm  

Sorry, that chair of Dr. Poulet was another one.

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
12/01/2018 10:30 pm  

The PP501-like is a Kai Kristiansen design I think, No. 61 according to furniture index.

Ernest, you do brilliantly. I spend hours scouring Gumtree and see half as much as you! I think the UK is fairly heavily picked.

ReplyQuote
Ernest Rams
(@ernest-rams)
Famed Member
12/01/2018 10:55 pm  

Hi Kyle, excellent ID. Really looks like a Kai Kristiansen for Magnus Olesen chair. Thank you. Too bad it's not for sale.

You know, for me it's quite some fun to try to ID stuff, and I imagine there is plenty of people doing this for living, so they must have a stronger motivation than fun, and more time than me.

Cheers,

Ernest.

ReplyQuote
Ernest Rams
(@ernest-rams)
Famed Member
12/01/2018 11:01 pm  

That's funny. I find that chair proposed as manufactured by Magnus Olesen, or by Ikea in Sweden in 1961. That would be the first IKEA piece I could consider buying.

Swedish Furniture Book by Andreas Siesing, page 160, Ikea catalog 1961, page 139.

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
13/01/2018 6:32 pm  

I knew I'd seen something highly similar.

I've just checked out the FurnitureIndex again and it says Feldballes Mobelfabrik. Having said that, the design isn't quite as I remembered, it features an upholstered back, to the extent that I can't quite say with certainty that it is the same design.

I just remember trawling through his designs when I picked up the Korup Stolefabrik chairs that are often attributed to him.

Here's the link

https://aleph-01.kb.dk/F/VCMJYI4BVB68M3JJX5E7FIHSRBP14BY6C2UVSADRM5YCBEF...

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
23/01/2018 7:38 pm  

According to Kai Kristiansen himself, the "Troika" chair was produced between 1950 and 1950 and was sold by Ikea. For the record.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
28/06/2020 7:26 pm  

@herringbone

Over 2 years later, but my search for curved back chairs is taking me in an unexpected direction !! 😉 

Ikea 1965 catalogue image of the Troja chair and as some of the images on this thread are no longer visible, is it possibly the "Troika" chair you mentioned. Did Kai Kristiansen actually design this chair? It looks like the model 61 for Feldballes mobelfabrik listed on DFI.

And the chair "Debut" beside it is the same as the model 213 by Farstrup. Now if only I could find a Farstrup  catalogue or brochure 😒 

1593365208-Ikea-troja-troika-chair-1964-in-DA-thread-herringbone-also-image-of-debut-like-farstrup-model-213.jpg

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
02/07/2020 2:37 pm  

@lexi Yes, Troja is the name and that’s the one. There’s no doubt Kai Kristiansen designed it, he is also mentioned in the text. I guess, IKEA didn’t produce but just retailed it. But I may be wrong. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
02/07/2020 2:56 pm  

@herringbone. Another  Ikea pic from 1961 catalogue with the "Troja" in the background. It would seem that Ikea sold these chairs over a good number of years.

1593694574-ikea-1961-KK-troja-chair.jpg

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
02/07/2020 3:30 pm  
Posted by: Herringbone

@lexi Yes, Troja is the name and that’s the one. There’s no doubt Kai Kristiansen designed it, he is also mentioned in the text. I guess, IKEA didn’t produce but just retailed it. But I may be wrong. 

@herringbone. Yes it IS there in the text. My excuse for not seeing that is that I am, first and foremost,an "image" person As a radiographer this comes in quite handy !! As does the ability to chat; face to face (currently at a "safe " distance)

"Small print"/text is not my forte. While you, on the other hand, have the journalist's focus that I lack.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register