Design Addict

Cart

ID for teak otter m...

ID for teak otter made in Denmark - I've searched everywhere!  

RSS

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
19/01/2023 3:19 am  

Hi, all---yes, it's me, I'm still alive.

You all are my last resort.  I have this teak otter with a mark I've never seen.  I think I've seen the otter before but of course now that I want to find it, it is nowhere. Or maybe I only saw one of the woodorking project otters that looks a lot like it.  I think people are still making these---they're very similar but there are some subtle differences that I think make a difference. 

Mine is about 15" long.  I am planning to sell it, and will go ahead with selling even if I don't find out who made it. It's mostly for my own personal knowledge.  I'm sure some of you can relate to that.  It's really driving me nuts!

It's stamped "DESIGN DENMARK" (twice actually--the first one wasn't too legible so they stamped again).  It looks like there may have been a logo above that but only a bit at the right side is visible.  

The other mark is a very scroll-y TQ, or FQ, or IQ.  Or maybe JQ.  I looked up what those letters look like the handwriting style used in Denmark but that didn't help any.  I also looked up Quistgaard, of course.  Nothing.  Maybe it's OL?  or LO? 

1674094788-Screen-Shot-2023-01-18-at-90410-PM.png

cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
19/01/2023 3:56 pm  

Based on the similarity to the teak polar bear, I might have guessed Arne Tjomsland. But I believe his sculptures were made in Norway. However, that logo might contain a "T" and an "A", so maybe he had some pieces made in Denmark.

... and most importantly, welcome back, spanky.

1674140205-polar-bear.jpg

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
19/01/2023 4:55 pm  

I was wishing for Tjomsland but his logo was a tall T with two uppercase A's at the base. 

The mark on the otter looks unusually swirly and traditional compare to most maker marks of that era.  Not that that means anything, of course.  It's just kind of odd. 

Thanks! 

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
19/01/2023 5:05 pm  

@spanky, No help with your otter, but it's great to see you back. Best news of my day (so far)!

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
19/01/2023 7:54 pm  

aww, thanks, tktoo!  Bad day, huh?  (haha)

I've been trying to quit paper cord weaving but just when I think I'm out they pull me back in.  (no apologies to TGF III!)  It's more fun and less stressful to deal in MCM collectibles. 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
20/01/2023 3:56 pm  

Dear @spanky - good to see you back again (even without bat signal) 🙂

I looked through my sources and found at least a company that seems to match the initials. Jensen & Qvist Moebelfabrik in Tørring. I have absolutely no idea if they would produce such things. But maybe that's a lead. And maybe not. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
20/01/2023 6:01 pm  

ooo, interesting!  

There were a few companies that produced mostly furniture that also made a few teak figurines.  H+F was one---they made a cat with an arched back, some mice, and I think one or two other animals.  Most of these were in the 2" to 6" size range but they also made a much larger version of each.  I've always thought that the large ones may have been gifts to furniture stores that sold their furniture, for marketing reasons (store display, maybe).  

I found an archive of old photos of business dinners (?) of the company founders and other people but only two of furniture.  Both the furniture pics showed traditional Danish styles which would fit with the traditional-looking JQ mark. 

Thanks!  It's probably not anything major.   

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
20/01/2023 6:47 pm  

@spanky The JQ mark could even be interpreted as JQT because the J looks like it was meant to represent both a J and a T. And T would be for Tørring. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
20/01/2023 8:36 pm  

Ah, that makes even more sense.  Thanks. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register