Design Addict

Cart

help plz with a set...

help plz with a set of Brazilian dining chairs.... moveis miclan ltd?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
21/11/2017 5:00 pm  

Can someone please explain the comment about Juan Valdez? And the repeated comments about walnut veneer over particle board? I have read and re-read this thread 4-5 times and I am still too dumb to understand.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
21/11/2017 5:08 pm  

I must be dumb, too. I thought Juan was a Colombian.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
21/11/2017 6:37 pm  

I just sprayed milk out of my nose.

spit,

Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Zephyr
(@zephyr)
Illustrious Member
21/11/2017 6:43 pm  

Colombia and Brasil are not the same thing?!

Well, the list will have to be amended yet again: nuts, wax, (strike-through) Shakira, (add) Havaianas flip-flops, (strike-through) Juan Valdez, (add) handcrafted pau marfim chairs, (add) Cacha̤a, ...... and tktoo's brother's partner's family stays on the list as well.

There, now everyone should be happy, de nada (which just so happens to mean the same thing in Colombia and Brasil)

Finally, ........ obscure references, thoughtful experiential insights, foreign languages, horrifically stereotypical brand spokes-persons from the decade before last, exotic woods, American design, pop-stars, European design, booze, South American design, footwear, all strung together with the linearity of a Family Guy episode ...... I think this thread is complete.

ReplyQuote
lizzy
(@lizzy)
21/11/2017 8:06 pm  

holy brazil nuts... you guys are great! most design addicts i know are uptight and pretentious! staying positive!!

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
21/11/2017 11:00 pm  

No tight ups around here. Nope. Not around here.

ReplyQuote
StigCarlsson
(@stigcarlsson)
28/11/2017 7:59 am  

My wife is from Brazil, Sao Paulo. She wasn't made for the local market either, her first husband was German, and I'm an American.

I know a little. Most Brazilian furniture in the USA was sold through a chain of stores, called Brazil Contempo, or something like that, which had stores in most cities and sold

Lafer stuff mostly. We have some Lafer furniture, a sofa. It is not popular where I live.

We get stuff for a pittance.

There ARE some serious wood snobs up in here, but they are very handy in this forum.

These may have belonged to a Brazilian diplomat or something, shipping containers was a common thing in 50's and 60's. It looks kinda French to me.

Brazilians like French furniture, go figure. They don't care for local stuff, no matter how

exotic the wood. Brazilianaires may own Rodriguez, but Lafer is not well known

in Brazil. It was an export company. They are paranoid about mold. Really paranoid.

They make bed frames out concrete. Niemeyer.

The Campana Brothers are huge. They like the plastic.

I am a glass man myself, like Leon Rosen.

The Germans, on the other hand, love Brazilian furniture.

Takes all kinds I guess. There is strength in diversity.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
29/11/2017 12:56 am  

I don't know a lot about Brazilian furniture, but I have a single piece of it. Percival Lafer shows up fairly regularly where I live. I don't see those export stamps on it. I think it all came into the USA through Brazil Contempo. I have also read that when the Junta took over in 1964, furniture exports were banned. I believe this one important factor in its scarcity. So I am not sure how Brazil Contempo worked.

The only other piece I have seen with those Brazilian export stamps was very likely from the mid 1950s. I suspect that this piece might be from pre-Junta Brazil.

ReplyQuote
lizzy
(@lizzy)
29/11/2017 4:30 am  

Interesting insight, thanks! As for Germany, this chair has German script on it translated to "decorative furniture". Any idea if this is Brazilian? Better quality than original post with an Italian flare...

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
29/11/2017 5:19 am  

WHy would something with German on it be Brazilian?

ReplyQuote
lizzy
(@lizzy)
29/11/2017 2:10 pm  

Clarification, its written in pencil, not a manufacturer label. Just curious

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register