Design Addict

Cart

Help identifying ma...

Help identifying maker ~Hans Olsen 'roundette' dining table & chairs or design copy?  

RSS

Hava Goodlife
(@hava-goodlife)
12/06/2021 5:03 pm  

Hi all , another newb here

I wonder if anyone might be able to help identify this dining table & chairs set. It's advertised as Hans olsen it is very similar in style to the set by Hans Olsen for Frem Røjle but the chair & table legs are a bit straighter and the chair backs different.

Thoughts & comments very welcome on whether this is genuine style variance or just a design copy.
Thanks

1623510225-rounette.jpg
1623511194-crop.jpg
This topic was modified 3 years ago by Hava Goodlife

cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
14/06/2021 6:40 pm  

The closer photo has the impression that all of the wood and upholstery is fairly new. Combined with detail differences, my guess would be that it is fairly recent production (probably unlicensed). If you could get photos of the undersides of the table and chairs, that would help make it more definitive.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
16/06/2021 12:44 am  

I don’t know how long Frem produced this series but it was often the case that makers slightly changed designs during the seventies. Frem was active until around 1981. I wouldn’t exclude the possibility that this is a seventies production. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
16/06/2021 11:36 pm  

I think the weight of all the legs has increased too, higher gauge diameter on the turning. Not unpleasant to look at, I am not the biggest fan of the roundette set to begin with though.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
17/06/2021 11:44 pm  

@kyle-barrett The roundette was one the few pieces that really struck me when I saw it for the first time. I wouldn’t want it in my home I think, but it is such a clever design. Hans Olsen was underrated as a designer and inventor. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
20/06/2021 1:43 pm  

My opinion on it is less favourable! Haha.

1. Having sat on one of the three-legged versions (though, of course there is a four-legged version, which I will come back to) it does not feel particularly comfortable or stable, I would not enjoy dining in it for a longer period.
  2. On it's own merit the chair is quite ugly with just vertical lines and on it's own merit the table is ugly with the inconsistent apron. Neither designs look particularly nice unless they are together and nicely packed away.
  3. The packed away aspect itself, feels like gimmick rather than function, most chairs tuck sufficiently into a table to look neat and prevent obstruction. The design skates by on this gimmick alone, which was not new in the period of it's conception.
  4. Finally coming back to the earlier point of the four-legged version. As if I didn't already lack trust in the design itself on the above levels, when you see the rectangular table variation and the four-legged version it feels like there wasn't really any aesthetic requisite that was being followed. Those deviant variations existing makes the design feel even less deliberate and thoughtful. 

But, that is rather scathing and they do look nice when they're all packed away as a set! Well the round one does anway.

With warmest criticisms to the respectable Mr Olsen, 😆 

Kyle 

ReplyQuote
He-Man
(@he-manunbanned)
Eminent Member
22/06/2021 1:32 am  

Kicking myself for passing and not buying a set of these chairs at a Goodwill years ago. They're definitely interesting looking.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
24/06/2021 5:37 pm  

@kyle-barrett Touché! 🙂 I can follow your arguments. This is probably why I said, I wouldn't want it in my home. I just like how it looks as a set and I still find it clever and pleasing on an aesthetic level. Especially nice for small rooms. But I can't tell whether the chairs are comfortable. I haven't sat on them.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register