Trusted Member
13/10/2018 5:54 am  

Adding pic

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
13/10/2018 4:50 pm  

Does it have one continues spring on the back with the two ends being anchored at top and bottom, rather than the more common looped springs? If it does, then worked on once for someone and I think i posted about it here (asking if anyone had any tips on how to get the spring back on).

I will attach the only three photos I have. The shape of the arm rests looks the same as yours as far as I can tell. The seat webbing straps run the opposite way, though. His chair was not teak--maybe ash?? It had a tinted stain that he sanded off and the wood was a light species but not beech.

I know the guy who owned the one in my photos thought it was Ib Kofod-Larsen but I don't remember him having any documentation.

ReplyQuote
Vintage Rod
(@vintage-rod)
Trusted Member
13/10/2018 6:39 pm  

Yes, mine has one continuous spring. Because of the apparent age, my theory is that this was an early version that was later refined. Refinements like cross webbing the seat, adding the handle mechanism instead of having to lift the seat over pegs, and using several spring loops rather than one piece. All of the differences seem to be improvements.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
13/10/2018 11:08 pm  

https://www.designaddict.com/forum/Repair/Re-installing-continuous-Expers...

that's the thread I was talking about above. I had hoped it might have some discussion about the origin of the chair itself, but nope. I'm including it anyway for future reference. Someone will inevitably need it.

The Danish Design Index doesn't show any chairs of this type for Kofod-Larsen. Hmm...

https://aleph-01.kb.dk/F/RUTFJ48EHYU1AYB54NUAYQ6EPU4L8LKAH1NB7QH3PBPA862...

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
14/10/2018 2:12 am  

The Shield Chair company in California made a chair either remarkably like this, or exactly this chair. Google it.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
14/10/2018 4:38 pm  

Thanks, Leif--I missed this thread from a couple years back:

https://www.designaddict.com/forum/Identification/Shield-Chair-co-California

ReplyQuote
Vintage Rod
(@vintage-rod)
Trusted Member
14/10/2018 5:52 pm  

Thanks for the replies. It

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
14/10/2018 6:21 pm  

There was a fair amount of borrowing and

ReplyQuote
Vintage Rod
(@vintage-rod)
Trusted Member
14/10/2018 6:49 pm  

Thanks Spanky. What should one expect to pay to have this chair recovered with a decent fabric? Including an ottoman.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
14/10/2018 7:38 pm  

Well, you can save a lot on the fabric by shopping at modern-fabrics.com. I

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
14/10/2018 8:10 pm  

Here's what i mean by shaping the back cushion to fit the curve of the frame; the first also has the thicker headrest section* but you can see how the whole thing hugs the curve of the frame. It's perfect. The side panel of the cushion cover is cut to this shape rather than being straight and conforming to the curve. Fabric will not do that---it'll just end up all rippled.

I saw a lot of examples where some attempt was made to shape the foam but they didn't quite take it far enough, or maybe they cut the cushion cover to fit the curve and hoped that it would force the foam into shape. This might work with latex foam, which is pretty floppy even at the high density level but it won't work with urethane foam, at least not 100%.

*do-able by building it up in layers starting with a narrow strip and ending with a layer that covers the entire head area, that way you get a smooth finish

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2018 5:56 am  

On the matter of who designed this chair: American designer/company or Kofod-Larsen, I would

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2018 7:15 am  

In the case of Kofod Larsen for Selig chairs that had similarities to earlier Peabody for Selig chairs, I think it makes better sense to understand what happened there in terms of Selig that design inspiration. Selig was extremely economy-minded with their product line and I think the requirement/encouragement was that later designs build on earlier work wherever possible with using the same machinery, jigs etc. This started with Peabody then Kofod Larsen designed a bunch of new models from the same parts bin, and Poul Jensen designed the Z chair also from that parts bin. The major point being that this was all about efficient manufacturing at the factory in Denmark (Poul Jensen

ReplyQuote
mgee76
(@mgee76)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2018 7:42 pm  

Really interesting. What are the woods here?

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register