Cart

date of black Eames...

date of black Eames LCMs ?  

RSS

annalindsay
(@annalindsay)
Eminent Member
15/04/2015 4:49 pm  

And while I'm logged in, another query! I've inherited four black Charles and Ray Eames LCMs. Two are comparatively modern, from 2003: labelled, original feet, etc, but clearly by then they were putting prophylactic screws through the back support. The other two, I'm not sure. I THINK my father brought them into the marriage back in 1963, though couldn't swear to it: original feet long since replaced, and NO date stamps anywhere to be found. Otherwise in superb condition - plywood veneer pretty much uncracked, original shock mounts still intact and not drilled through... I've put my photos of the two respective pairs in a montage which I'm attaching for ease of reference: the upper pictures are those of the two chairs I am unsure of in terms of date (?and provenance?): the lowest two are of the more modern 2003 pair for comparison. But I would be VERY grateful for your help with the older two!!!! I hope the images are of sufficient quality to aid in the identification? Thanks so much, folks! 

annalindsay
(@annalindsay)
Eminent Member
21/04/2015 1:35 am  

...Any helpful tips?
My parents obviously had them by spring of 1966 (see photo!)

ReplyQuote
kin1117
(@kin1117)
Famed Member
22/04/2015 7:20 pm  

What a lovely pic you have there. I'm actually taking a wild guess that 60's sounds about right. If my bad memory serves me well, sometime in the 70's HM changed the screw on the bottom of the seat that's an extension from the back frame to a smaller one. The resoning is, with the stress the seat receives in that area, a larger screw would sometimes cause damage to that portion of the frame. As a result, they decided it's much easier to replace a small screw than a chair frame. That's why they changed it. 
As to your older chairs, underneath the seat there seems to be 3 screws of the same size; therefore, I think it's before the 70's. Such a wild guess though. 
Btw, you may want to replace the glides. Look up Graham Mancha for parts. You'll be happy you found him. Good luck!!

ReplyQuote
annalindsay
(@annalindsay)
Eminent Member
24/04/2015 12:56 am  

Thanks so much, Kin1117!

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register