RSS

lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
18/11/2018 3:02 pm  

Great research Kyle.

You obviously dug deeper than me !!

Looking into the info you provided I discovered that Arnestad Bruk worked with Rastad and Relling for many years and actually produced the well known " Rock'n Rest" chair , by R&R, in 1957. The handle/rocking mechanism on this chair is similar to the one in the images you posted.

Spanky, I found and read those links too.Very little info/ images of his earlier, less well known designs, like the OP's chair, but plenty of his later stuff. (post 1960).

Anyways, it is always exciting / interesting to discover new information.

Regards,

Lexi.

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
19/11/2018 6:07 am  

big thank you to all who joined in on solving this mystery! stellar sleuthing fellow addicts! I love learning about unfamiliar designers AND this is really what I needed to feel comfortable having a visual for the restoration.

Spanky, I am curious...in the pictures of the high/low back chairs upholstered in white from the link that follows, the backs look very messy...surely that was not the original method to finish? the backs would have been done originally?

https://www.brocantelab.com/produit/30320/3-fauteuils-wing-chair-sven-iv...

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
19/11/2018 7:17 am  

Wow, they do look rather messy on the back. And on the sides in a few places, too. I can't tell what that type of fabric is but it appears to be a bulky, texturey one which can make neat seams a bit challenging. But it can be done.

Looks to me like the inside of the upper back has too much padding and that it was wrapped around to the outside back. I would have not done more than an inch of foam on the upper back, then undercut the edge it around the perimeter. Then glue the inside back fabric to the foam up to the edge but not around to the back. Then pin the outside back fabric in place (maybe over some 1/2" batting to smooth over any irregularities) and use heavy duty T pins to pin the inside back fabric to the outside back fabric (trim excess to 1/2" to 3/4" seam allowances and neatly fold those under). Do a hand ladder stitch to close it all up.

I have seen people try to use Ply-Grip and/or Curve-Ease (same stuff but notched more to go around curves) on furniture like this. It never quite works as well as hand stitching.

Those chairs look like they've got welt in some places but then it seems to get swallowed up, or something. Very odd.

I reupholstered a chair kind of like these years ago. I don't have any good photos of the back, but I found these pics of a Bramin chair that i did in the way I described above. It does take a little practice and it's slower work than using the metal grip stuff, but it's the only way I know to get that thin, clean edge. Very satisfying, too.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
19/11/2018 9:08 am  

ahhhh, so very helpful!

you are so gracious to take the time to explain in detail and with illustration Spanky, thank you kindly for your time and expertise, I will post here the final on my chair and we will see how we do...hope I have enough left on my roll of gray flannel maharam to do it in 🙂

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
19/11/2018 4:38 pm  

No problem, LCA. I could go on about upholstery and textiles all day, every day.

Are you talking about gray felt by Maharam? They might make a flannel too, I forget. The felt (Divina) is a little on the stiff side, and it's also very smooth. A more textured fabric with some give to it might be safer. On the other hand, a smooth wool in gray would be gorgeous.

Something else--does anyone else think the head pillow on the red chair looks kind of jarring...?? I know this designer used that shape on one of his other chairs but it looks more integral on that one. But if it's not original on the red one, it sure was expertly upholstered.

Personally, I'd go with one of those separate rectangular cushions with straps that hang over the back, weighted at ends to balance the weight of the pillow and allow it to be adjusted to the height of the sitter---if a pillow was needed to make the chair more comfortable, that is. The wide ellipse competes too much with the sort-of wing shape of the other chair. Just my two cents, of course.

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
19/11/2018 5:01 pm  

Spanky,

Found another image of same chair with same pillow. Also if you look at the image for the highback version on the brocantelab link above, it has two button like shapes on the rear which could possibly be where this pillow attached.

I agree that it is a somewhat unusual shape and a weighted rectangular pillow would look much better.

Link below to an Instgram posting #ArnestadBruk.which shows lots of images of rectangular head pillows on the Rock'nRest chairs.

https://stalktr.com/tag/ArnestadBruk.

Regards,

Lexi.

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
19/11/2018 5:21 pm  

ah--that one actually looks better but I think it's just because it's a low contrast black & white photo!

I wondered what the two buttons were on the dirty white chair above. That explains it! I also saw photos of the backs of the other chair design with the same shape at the top--one single button. One site even showed how the ellipse section could be rotated a bit--maybe to show that the cushion was loose, I dunno.

The free-hanging cushion with weights is such a good option. Having that support behind your neck and having the right lumbar support makes a huge difference in the comfort level of a chair.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register