Design Addict

Cart

Chairs by Stendig, ...

Chairs by Stendig, Looking for information and history on these. Thanks!  

RSS

emcguru
(@emcguru)
09/02/2020 11:19 pm  

I have 10 Stendig Chairs, they all appear to be the same but the differ a little underneath the seat. I thought they all were "Andover" chairs but only one has the Andover sticker, they may have fell off all the other as it seems all the stickers are peeling a little. Just trying see if anyone might be able to confirm what type of Stendig chairs these are and when they might have been made? I noticed one style says Stendig with a NY address and the other says Stendig NJ address. Trying to figure out why they appear the same with subtle differences has been boggling my mind, haha. All I could come up with was one style is older than the othe r...maybe? Thanks in advance for any information. Not to much info out there that i can find on Stendig chairs so some history or information about them as a whole would also be wonderful!

This is type I have 6, the bottoms are different and the dots on fabric with this one is very pinkish or salmon where the other one has darkish red dots. The dots are not faded on either they are clearly different "the way i see it".

This is the other type which I have 4, it has darkish red dots all the wood is the high glossy like finish where the other uis glossy everywhere but the bottom. These seem more rounded on the bottom but that may just bee the extra gloss finish.

_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
12/02/2020 7:18 pm  

There are plenty of information out there about your chairs.  Start with what you have - Stendig and Andover chairs, a quick google search with the information you have will give you that its was designed by Davis Allen of the architecture firm SOM (Skidmore Owens and Merrill).  Stendig was the original manufacturer and whent it went out of business, Knoll picked it up and became the current manufacturer.  It has been renamed the Exeter chair and is a standard issue for Knoll's contract projects.  I really liked the aesthetics of this chair, simple and quite elegant but the scale is a bit large and throne like for residential use (at least in my house) but it sits perfectly in any SOM high rise/skyscraper lobbies, conference rooms and CEO/upper and middle management offices..

1581531501-tumblr_n8gbje42RK1sewbo2o1_r1_1280.jpg

ReplyQuote
emcguru
(@emcguru)
12/02/2020 7:45 pm  

So even the chairs with the plain black dust covers under them without the stendig name stiched in are also Andover. The underside of those just seemed less "finished", glossy finish is only where you can see it without turn the chair upside down unlike the others where the glossy finish covers every square inch of exposed wood? I did find information but was only by what I saw and kind of just wanted to see if someone knew why they were different. Only one chair out of all of them has the Andover sticker on it. Thank you for the reply didn't dig deep enough to hear about Davis Allen, appreciate it!

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
12/02/2020 8:26 pm  

All your chairs were made by Stendig and all were known as the Andover chairs starting in 1983.  Your chairs with the Stendig dust cover (under the seat) were original to the chairs made by Stendig, the others with just the plain dust cover under were either re-upholstered by some one (not Stendig) in the past or if not, Stendig could have just used a plain fabric cover later in the production (?).  The different dust covers under your chairs does not make one authentic and the others not as real, you worry too much about the dust covers which are replaceable by anyone if the chairs need new upholstery.

All the chairs like yours made by Knoll (1990's) will have a Knoll label and are called the Exeter chairs.

ReplyQuote
emcguru
(@emcguru)
14/02/2020 5:48 pm  

Even the plain black dust covers still have the white "sold by Stendig" tags stapled to the black covers so unless they were meticulously removed and re-stapled in the exact same spot they are original. I was also wondering if the current upholstery on the cushion has a certain pattern or style? Trying to find something similar and all i could come up with is polka dot haha and it's not giving me the results I was looking for...

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
14/02/2020 6:42 pm  

All you chairs are originals.  The best that you can do for all your chairs upholstery is to find a solid color plain weave wool or do it in leather, solid color vinyl will look great too.  Go to Knoll Textiles or Maharam or the other textile manufacturers websites online, you will most likely find the best material that suits and appeal to you.  Your chairs have an advantage that it has a simple square seat that you can actually look for remnants of the same material instead of buying and paying full retail price from a fabric bolt.

ReplyQuote
emcguru
(@emcguru)
14/02/2020 7:50 pm  
Posted by: minimoma

All you chairs are originals.  The best that you can do for all your chairs upholstery is to find a solid color plain weave wool or do it in leather, solid color vinyl will look great too.  Go to Knoll Textiles or Maharam or the other textile manufacturers websites online, you will most likely find the best material that suits and appeal to you.  Your chairs have an advantage that it has a simple square seat that you can actually look for remnants of the same material instead of buying and paying full retail price from a fabric bolt.

Thank you, that really helped alot!

ReplyQuote
emcguru
(@emcguru)
14/02/2020 8:06 pm  

Doubt I have a good eye "taste" wise knida a new area for me... Came across this and though it would look good, tell me what you think... brutal honesty haha

https://www.totofabrics.com/collections/leather/products/fabric-remnant-of-pro-rhubarb-vinyl?variant=41437694093

ReplyQuote
emcguru
(@emcguru)
14/02/2020 8:19 pm  

My inital thought what black non-textured leather, making the whole chair solid black?

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
14/02/2020 9:50 pm  

That is a decision you have to make.  If you are selling them a a lot, sell them as found and let the new owners decide how to rehab them, if it is for your own use, don't just look at the upholstery but look for a material that goes well in context to the room you are using them.  Keeping it neutral is safe but if they are mine, I will find some vintage zebra hides.

1581713427-exeter.jpg

ReplyQuote
emcguru
(@emcguru)
15/02/2020 6:23 am  
Posted by: minimoma

That is a decision you have to make.  If you are selling them a a lot, sell them as found and let the new owners decide how to rehab them, if it is for your own use, don't just look at the upholstery but look for a material that goes well in context to the room you are using them.  Keeping it neutral is safe but if they are mine, I will find some vintage zebra hides.

1581713427-exeter.jpg

I like that idea, I actually plan on selling 6 of the to pay for the 4 I keep.

ReplyQuote
emcguru
(@emcguru)
15/02/2020 6:29 am  

Or at least try to, the places I see people selling them are asking prices that are prob 4x what someone would actually pay for them. Would trying to sell them for 200 each be out of line?

ReplyQuote
classicman
(@classicman)
06/06/2021 3:06 am  

I worked for Stendig for several years and can verify that you've been given very good information.

Stendig had their own textile line, and this doesn't look like one of theirs.  Typically these chairs were upholstered in mohair or leather. As it was pointed out, David Allen was an architect at SOM,  a firm known for minimalism and its restrained design, but also of the higher quality. As a year has passed you have probably already resolved this situation.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register