Cart

Canoe Wooden Bowl

Canoe Wooden Bowl  

RSS

guyinSF
(@guyinsf)
Famed Member
16/03/2022 3:19 am  

This wooden bowl reminds me very much of the ones designed by Jens Quistgaard for Dansk (last 2 pix). It has a mark on the bottom that reads "KE" but the logo looks more contemporary to me. One seller on 1stdibs is selling the exact same bowl as this one and states that it's vintage from the 1960s but oddly enough doesn't say anything about what "KE" stands for which makes me think the seller doesn't know also. Does anyone know what company is KE? 

Thanks so much!

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

This topic was modified 2 years ago by guyinSF

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/03/2022 4:00 am  

And it is rosewood teak and some light wood. I think the letters also include a C. It is hard to know the order. CKE perhaps?

ReplyQuote
guyinSF
(@guyinsf)
Famed Member
16/03/2022 4:26 am  
Posted by: leif ericson - Zephyr Renner

And it is rosewood teak and some light wood. I think the letters also include a C. It is hard to know the order. CKE perhaps?

Hi Leif, that's true. I didn't think about that oval being a C but you might be right. 

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/03/2022 10:02 am  

This is the Hundevad & Co early mark which naively appears to be CHO but was used to represent H&Co. So I believe that the C is well within the domain of a letter by the standards of danish companies of the era. There just may not be any sort of equal weighting to the K E and C and the question of order is uncertain. I would think that K probably comes before so CKE or KEC.  In this case I think the three letters probably are the three names of a Dane. For example ESA on bowls stands for Erik S. Angelo.  

1647421372-20BAB1C9-0D26-4A58-8D4C-44CBDBB9D284.jpeg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
16/03/2022 3:27 pm  

Possibly if not likely inspired by IHQ/Dansk bowl of similar form. The one found on !stnibs located on the US east coast lists the mark as "CKE" and classified as American Studio Craft Movement, which seems apt to me.

ReplyQuote
guyinSF
(@guyinsf)
Famed Member
19/03/2022 3:25 am  

This is the Hundevad & Co early mark which naively appears to be CHO but was used to represent H&Co. So I believe that the C is well within the domain of a letter by the standards of danish companies of the era. There just may not be any sort of equal weighting to the K E and C and the question of order is uncertain. I would think that K probably comes before so CKE or KEC.  In this case I think the three letters probably are the three names of a Dane. For example ESA on bowls stands for Erik S. Angelo.  

1647421372-20BAB1C9-0D26-4A58-8D4C-44CBDBB9D284.jpeg

Good point Leif. If the C is in fact part of the whole thing I would also think it's the first letter in the name and not the last letter. People usually dont emphasize the last letter in a name. 

ReplyQuote
guyinSF
(@guyinsf)
Famed Member
19/03/2022 3:34 am  
Posted by: tktoo2

Possibly if not likely inspired by IHQ/Dansk bowl of similar form. The one found on !stnibs located on the US east coast lists the mark as "CKE" and classified as American Studio Craft Movement, which seems apt to me.

I think the 1stdibs seller doesn't know much about the origin of the bowl other than his guess that it is American Studio Craft Movement which he might be right about, otherwise he would have said what CKE stood for. We do know for sure that this bowl was "mass" produced to a certain degree since I also have it. 

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
19/03/2022 3:57 am  

To me the wood types look more likely to be European than American choices.  Can you take a photo like the one of the mark so we can see what the light wood is and the others towards the rim?

ReplyQuote
guyinSF
(@guyinsf)
Famed Member
20/03/2022 7:45 pm  

To me the wood types look more likely to be European than American choices.  Can you take a photo like the one of the mark so we can see what the light wood is and the others towards the rim?

Here you go bud. Thanks!

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register