Calling wood nerds

Calling wood nerds  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

MirnaMinkoff
(@mirnaminkoff)
Eminent Member
12/11/2017 10:07 pm  

I refinish Rosewood and have several species of Rosewood laying around.

Brazilian Rosewood Nigra species is the typical term for "Brazilian Rosewood" but it is distinctive and most people who call rosewood, rosewood like to call it Brazilian when it is not.

Most Danish Rosewood pieces are seldom made with actual true Brazilian rosewood (dalbergia nigra). And so are few american pieces frankly.

True dalbergia nigra can change hue but so do most other forms of rosewoods and more so because many times they have subtle dyes applies to give them the tones and hues of Brazilina Rosewood.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
12/11/2017 10:18 pm  

Aha. Red pigments are notoriously prone to fading; I wonder if that applies to dye stains as well. If not, Rosewood could be dyed before finishing, which could prolong the red appearance beyond what would occur naturally. Perhaps that is what you refer to . . . ?

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
12/11/2017 11:00 pm  

I think in fairness while not a lot of solid Dalbergia Nigra is used I don't think it's underutilised in veneer. I have plenty of items I believe are a mix of rosewoods. For me I'd really like to know what the other varieties of rosewood are...

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
13/11/2017 1:11 am  

Kyle, did you check out the hobbithouse site? He lists 42 different species of rosewood! Unless some are listed under two names--but still, a lot. Great photos, too. I love that site so much.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/#letterR

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
13/11/2017 1:42 am  

Rosewood has a highly variable appearance -- but within certain parameters of variation. There is one other rosewood that looks quite a lot like Dalbergia nigra, Brazilian Rosewood. The rest look fairly different most of the time. But all rosewoods and all legumes share a lot of characteristics.

So, learning to identify it is learning what looks the same all the time, and what changes, what causes it to change. And it helps greatly to know that on a certain piece of furniture, of the thousands of different species there are two or three usual suspects.

Dalbergia nigra is very dark when freshly cut, but it is not a true black. It is an extremely dark purple, and underneath that are reds and yellows. Whatever substance is that color is very easily destroyed by UV light, so the wood bleaches readily and becomes the wide range of colors we see. Also when freshly cut, it appears to have very little grain and character because it is so dark (usually), and the grain only starts to appear with a but of UV fading.

As said above, in veneer work, what is supposed to be Dalbergia nigra is usually Dalbergia nigra. It is not at all unheard of for the solid pieces, like edge banding and legs to be some other species stained dark.

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
13/11/2017 1:54 am  

I have very much been on that site. Specifically on the rosewood pages... Possibly too much?

To the extent I donated. As an independent site hosting a lot of images I was slightly concerned it might not be sustainable and I'd be upset if it went away.

Having said that, I think identifying what rosewoods are in front of me, from the examples shown is still a near impossible task. I don't trust the general thought I've read on the internet that alternative rosewoods were from India, as (I struggle to distinguish exactly why) Indian rosewood looks different to what I see in a lot of Danish made furniture from the period. It might be that Indian rosewood to me looks as though it's hue is very inconsistent even within one piece of timber.

Specifically I am thinking of some distinctively NOT Nigra rosewoods that feature figuring that is much less dark and more evenly, widely spaced rather than very fine, erratic, tiger-like or even marbled. The pores are also finer and more uniform, whereas Nigra often has deep dark pores that almost look like scratches they are so rogue. Most recently I've seen what I'd have guessed is this alternative Dalbergia in Kai Kristiansen dining chairs by Korup Stolefabrik, it's akin to most M

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
13/11/2017 2:50 am  

Is it the case that the Eames lounge chair and ottoman are skinned in Rosewood veneer ?

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
13/11/2017 3:00 am  

By that do you mean the plywood is not multiple layers of rosewood? The inside and outside of the shells are veneered but the layers of wood that form the ply aren't rosewood.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
13/11/2017 3:57 am  

Right. As with any hardwood plywood. I just wondered if the face veneer is indeed Rosewood. Seems an unusual choice for an American design. Perhaps the self-consciously luxurious, even exotic choice was meant as the icing on a rationally-designed cake -- analogous to the bookmatched decorative stone on the walls of the Barcelona Pavilion . . . ?

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
13/11/2017 4:17 am  

Then yes, no doubt it my mind the Eames Lounge chairs used Brazilian rosewood up until the 80s.

Herman Miller had stocks of veneer left over after the ban of D. Nigra specifically in '91 (or '92) and were allowed to sell limited edition screens that used the remaining stock in '95.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register