Cart

How to tell an Arne...

How to tell an Arne Vodder replica  

RSS

Fr.Ha.
(@fr-ha)
Eminent Member
27/10/2020 4:39 pm  

Hello, how can I find out whether a Vodder armchair is real or not? Of course on the Cado tag or on the France & son imprint, but if both are missing, is it automatically a knockoff? Are there any other features to look out for?

(I've added a photo of the Vodder model in question from the Furniture Index, I hope they won't take me to court!) 

1603813181-RP15898-copy.jpg
This topic was modified 4 years ago 3 times by Fr.Ha.

mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
27/10/2020 6:59 pm  

Hi, the difference can be clearly seen in the details, just google and compare.

ReplyQuote
Fr.Ha.
(@fr-ha)
Eminent Member
27/10/2020 7:07 pm  

Thank you, but I compared it already. What is mysterious is that my armchair is absolutely identical to the original in terms of design details, but it is not screwed and not labeled. 😕

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
27/10/2020 7:11 pm  

Do you have a photo?

ReplyQuote
Fr.Ha.
(@fr-ha)
Eminent Member
27/10/2020 7:17 pm  

I will send a photo tomorrow, the chair is currently in the garage and there is no light in the garage.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
28/10/2020 2:26 am  

There are some France and Søn pieces that were marked. Very few, but they exist.  Probably because France and Søn was run by Charles France, who was not a Dane, and a new company in the early 1950s, it had an entirely different idea about the purpose and unspoken rules of furniture marks, so nearly all their furniture was marked.  But even you should follow MVC’s advice and compare against the details of other pieces.  France pieces were very precisely and uniformly made and didn’t change much so it is much easier than with hand made to order cabinetmaker pieces that could change from piece to piece quite a bit.  

ReplyQuote
Fr.Ha.
(@fr-ha)
Eminent Member
28/10/2020 10:06 am  

Hello Leif, thank you, but to be honest, I don't understand at all what you mean, my english is not very good, to me it is very irritating and contradictive what you are writing.

Hello mvc, photos coming soon.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
28/10/2020 5:36 pm  

The entire topic of marking in danish furniture is complicated and that is partly because of the extreme anxiety people have over unmarked furniture because there is a false idea that the mark conveys authenticity and thereby value.  The Danes did not use marks to convey authenticity. But if you want it to be as simple as possible, not all France furniture is marked. The form and construction of the piece is its authentication. 

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
28/10/2020 11:18 pm  

Z, I think Fr.Ha's confusion is a more simple issue. You inadvertently left out a "not" in your initial response.

"There are some France and Søn pieces that were [not] marked."

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
28/10/2020 11:28 pm  

@cdsilva: ah!  Well that makes more sense. Typing on an iPad is annoying.  Things sometimes get disappeared.  

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
28/10/2020 11:44 pm  

@cdsilva: ah!  Well that makes more sense. Typing on an iPad is annoying.  Things sometimes get disappeared.  

ReplyQuote
mkg
 mkg
(@mkg)
Eminent Member
30/10/2020 9:45 pm  

I recently picked up an original chair/ottoman combo that was purchased in 1964 if you need pictures for comparison.  For what its worth, mine is fabric, not tufted, sprung cushions and no headrest loop like the picture. (And marked FS)

Kinda cool,  the older couple I bought it from pulled out their bank book records and wrote down the original  price, month and year of purchase along with store name for me as well.  

ReplyQuote
Fr.Ha.
(@fr-ha)
Eminent Member
04/11/2020 8:04 pm  

Sorry that I did not reply but I was influenza suffering (not Covid!).

In the meantime the chair was captured out of the garage by my sister and used for other purposes. 😥

Thank you for your help anyway.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register