Design Addict

Cart

Any idea who design...

Any idea who designed this Dyrlund table?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

waxa
 waxa
(@elmo)
27/10/2021 4:53 am  

Hi all. I'm totally stumped on this one; any ideas? I've tried periodically to ID it over the past couple years with no luck - can't even find a photo match online let alone a lead on any designers. 

I've seen plenty of Dyrlund stuff in my travels, most of which has been relatively uninspiring stuff (at least the later pieces that seem to be common in the Canadian market). This, on the other hand, is a pretty stunning piece of craftsmanship. Check out those fluted legs! 

Thanks in advance for any tips. 

1635303239-rosewood1.jpg

waxa
 waxa
(@elmo)
27/10/2021 5:00 am  

Close up of corner

1635303636-rosewood4.jpg

ReplyQuote
waxa
 waxa
(@elmo)
27/10/2021 5:01 am  

Legs

1635303705-rosewood3.jpg

ReplyQuote
waxa
 waxa
(@elmo)
27/10/2021 5:02 am  

label

1635303733-rosewood2.jpg

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
27/10/2021 6:31 am  

Dyrlund distributed other factories’ stuff in foreign lands sometimes, so it might not actually be a Dyrlund at all

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
27/10/2021 9:41 am  

Maybe @vildbjerg-lkj knows something?

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
waxa
 waxa
(@elmo)
27/10/2021 4:37 pm  

Interesting, I had no idea. I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but the quality of design & workmanship (and even just the liberal use of solid rosewood) seems to be to be so strikingly different from all of the other Dyrlund stuff I've seen - would make sense if it was made in a different factory. Thanks Leif! 

ReplyQuote
LadyGifford
(@ladygifford)
27/10/2021 4:42 pm  

Not bad at all. I like this design and shape. Carry on!

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
29/10/2021 4:26 pm  

@elmo But Dyrlund also has a long history and they changed their style quite a bit from the early sixties up to now. They changed management in the mid 70s after the untimely death of the company founder, and I think that this also meant a new approach on design, marketing and so on. I don't pretend to know anything about your table but I wouldn't exclude the possibility that's an early well made Dyrlund design. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
29/10/2021 6:54 pm  

@elmo. I would love to see photos of the table with the draw leaves fully extended.

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
29/10/2021 7:33 pm  

How interesting can be a dyrlung piece ? Very questionable. This factory is the antithesis of anything remarkable made till the early 60es in Denmark by cabinetmakers. Maybe too much of a sharp opinion ? Could be ! 

ReplyQuote
ThomasLitt
(@thomaslitt)
Eminent Member
29/10/2021 9:02 pm  

There are some Dyrlund designs that are far more interesting than the insignificant opinion of someone who has no idea about furniture and is unable to judge quality work.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
29/10/2021 11:09 pm  
Posted by: ThomasLitt

There are some Dyrlund designs that are far more interesting than the insignificant opinion of someone who has no idea about furniture and is unable to judge quality work.

Please, if it’s in your power, try not to get personal. 

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
30/10/2021 1:21 am  

This table and discussion proves that a Dyrlund table can be interesting.  Interesting is not exactly a high bar.  Just because something is not the height of design and construction does not mean it is uninteresting.   There may be many things that are more interesting.  And there are certainly Dyrlund tables that are entirely uninteresting (to me, unless something interesting has happened to them).  

And I don’t mean to suggest that it can’t be a Dyrlund table because it is not just like every other one.  It could be Dyrlund, but just because it is marked Dyrlund does not mean that Dyrlund did anything other than represent it on the export market.  

ReplyQuote
ThomasLitt
(@thomaslitt)
Eminent Member
30/10/2021 10:02 am  
Posted by: Herringbone
Posted by: ThomasLitt

Please, if it’s in your power, try not to get personal. 

If someone writes nonsense, then I get personal.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register