Design Addict

Cart

Adrian Pearsall MCM...

Adrian Pearsall MCM Chair or not?  

RSS

Jray
(@jray)
08/04/2020 5:18 pm  

I'm trying to ID this chair. I've been sent links to the Adrian Pearsall Model 2315-C chair for Craft Associates.  However, it is stamped "Made In Denmark 26W" and it does come apart for shipping.  It is obviously old and i'm thinking a knock off of the Adrian Pearsall chair but can't find any information on it.  Help!

1586359085-chair4.jpg
1586359134-chair3.jpg
1586359160-chair2.jpg
This topic was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Jray

mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
09/04/2020 8:14 pm  

I do not have an answer but maybe a couple more pieces to the puzzle.  From the info about Selig and Peabody on the "New"  Craft Associates website, it seems clear that Lawrence Peabody designed the original model 598 chair.  Then after he left Selig, it appears they had Kofod-Larsen make a few changes to it, perhaps so they could market it using his name, or maybe just to improve it.  The one shown in the first picture is said to be a Kofod-Larsen version made by Christian Jensens Møbelsnedkeri (Poul Jensen's company) and imported by Selig.      

Link:  https://movablemodern.com/content/ib-kofod-larsen-lounge-chair-selig

I could not find any information on how the Pearsall version came about.  I did, however,  come across a high-back version to add to the mix.  The one in the second picture is attributed by the seller to Pearsall and labeled "Unknown Chair #15" .  They say the chair and footstool were bought in 1958 along with two 2315-C low-back models.  The listing says they are marked "Made in Denmark" but doesnt include a picture.  My guess is it's the same red ink stamp.  

Link:  https://www.adrianpearsallstore.com/product-page/unk-chair-15

The third picture is a pair attributed to Kofod-Larsen by the seller.  The ad included photos of the red ink stamps - one with the number 26W and the other with 277W 

Link:  http://midcenturymoderndesignfinds.blogspot.com/2019/07/pair-of-danish-modern-walnut.html

1586456062-KL598.jpg
1586456143-HB1.jpg
1586456177-KLHB.jpg
1586456220-KLHB-mark.jpg
1586456242-KLHB-mark2.jpg

ReplyQuote
KennethSteven
(@kennethsteven)
15/04/2020 10:12 am  
Posted by: Jray

I'm trying to ID this chair. I've been sent links to the Adrian Pearsall Model 2315-C chair for Craft Associates.  However, it is stamped "Made In Denmark 26W" and it does come apart for shipping.  It is obviously old and i'm thinking a knock off of the Adrian Pearsall chair but can't find any information on it.  Help!

1586359085-chair4.jpg
1586359134-chair3.jpg
1586359160-chair2.jpg

Alright!

but I am thinking why are you wandering for the Adrian Pearsall chair

when you are getting Denmark product same.

what's the specific reason you are not satisfied with this? 

ReplyQuote
 Jray
(@jray)
15/04/2020 4:17 pm  

I find all the mixed information confusing and keep trying to find more information so i know as much as possible.  Also, if i sell it i dont want to mislead someone with "Adrian Pearcell chair" if its not. Simple really.  

I know Adrian Pearcell is American but ive read his chairs were made in America and he had some made overseas in Denmark.  Just trying to find someone that would know more about this.  Or,  like i mentioned is this a reproduction from Denmark and because of this, its not worth as much.

When i look at his chsirs being sold around North America i see some have a little wooden screwhead cover on the side o the chair and some dont.  Again, tgis leads me to believe some are genuine chairs and some are reproductions.  I've even sent the pictures to various dealers around North America and they dont know either because half say it is genuine and half say its an unknown chair to them.

Hope this answers your question as to why i keep searching for info.

ReplyQuote
 Jray
(@jray)
15/04/2020 4:23 pm  

Amazing information youve sent.  Im now lost even more wih all of it.  I have someone wanting to purchase it for $350 and as tempting as that may be, i see some are posted for sale for a lot more, but again i dont know if this is genuine or a reproduction.   

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
15/04/2020 4:36 pm  

If someone offered me $350 for the chair in the first photo, with no cushions, I would definitely take it. Just because a listing might ask a lot for something, doesn't mean that something is worth the asking price.

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
15/04/2020 9:19 pm  

I agree with @cdsilva .  $350 seems fair with no cushions.  Don't look at asking prices, look at sold prices on sites like Liveauctioneers and Chairish. 

I haven't found any evidence that Pearsall or Craft had any pieces made in Denmark.  These chairs with the keyhole assembly and red ink stamps appear to have all been made by the same as yet unidentified company, maybe not even in Denmark.  But even if your chair had a Craft tag, I don't think you'd get much more for it. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register