Rya Rug?  

RSS

NULL NULL
(@white-g2897gmail-com)
Estimable Member
09/10/2015 11:46 pm  

Hello everyone
Ive been reseaching for a while on rya's
Having a heck of a time trying to figure out the design wheather Danish or Sweden or soomewhere els. Any advice on a good website to search

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
10/10/2015 12:37 am  

I don't know of any websites that might help in ID'ing it but unless it was a commercially available pattern or mass-produced, I dunno that it would help anyway.
Are you sure it's a Rya rug? They are made by tying a specific type of yarn on a specific type of canvas in a specific way. There are shag rugs with Scandinavian-looking designs that aren't Ryas, in other words.
A few years ago I thought about making one myself. I found a video on Youtube of a guy making one and explaining the technique. Turned out the materials were very expensive so I decided to wait until I found a beautiful Rya in a thrift store. (Still waiting. Ha.)
You should also verify that the pile is wool, which you can do by taking a tiny stnip and burning it. A half inch of one strand is enough. If it's wool, it'll smell like burning hair and will leave a black, crispy ash that crushes easily.
This was and is a fairly simply fiber craft to do so there are probably plenty of home designs out there, not to mention obscure kit Ryas. But who knows---you might find yours! Weirder things have happened...

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@white-g2897gmail-com)
Estimable Member
10/10/2015 1:33 am  

Your the best spanky
I did the burn test, definitely wool. I believe it to be mass produced due to the way the back is.
thanks for your extensive knowledge

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
10/10/2015 7:44 am  

Did you just add the photo of the back? I didn't see that before. Yes, definitely a factory piece. That canvas would have visible yarn knots on it if it was a Rya, unless maybe a stiffer canvas was bonded to the Rya canvas for weight. I dunno. Even if it was not a Rya, there would be yarn knots on the underside, just not as big. I think it's an added backing.
It's a lovely rug, Rya or not!

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
10/10/2015 4:01 pm  

Looks very much like an Ege Rya design to me.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
10/10/2015 5:45 pm  

This was an Ege Rya with a similar design and colorway but with more assymetry.
I also found a photo of the back of an Ege rug. It has that same canvas as I showed above and you can definitely see the knots, so I don't think that's it unless a backing was added...but that doesn't seem likely either.
(Also, dammit--now I've got the bug again to make one!!! But I won't.)

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@white-g2897gmail-com)
Estimable Member
16/10/2015 11:17 pm  

Yup not a rya....
On my adventure yesterday I was at a house with rya's everywhere. Its really helpful to see stuff in real life. I still love it now if i can get the red to work in my house.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2015 12:40 am  

I have an Ege Rya and a couple of other Rya catalogs. Will take a look when I get home and see if this is in any of them.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2015 12:44 am  

Here is a CUM Rya that looks close

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@white-g2897gmail-com)
Estimable Member
17/10/2015 1:17 am  

That sure is close, thank you
luv your catalog

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2015 3:32 am  

Just looked through my Ege catalog and nothing as close as the rug above.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register