Link to good furnit...

Link to good furniture ID site?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

dashes
(@dashes)
Prominent Member
06/08/2008 11:04 am  

I don't mean like ID in the sense that we use it here, but in a very much more general sense ... this will sound really lame, but I have some pieces of furniture that I need to get rid of and I simply don't know what to call them, beyond "table" or "oak table" or whatever. I don't necessarily mean the era/style (eg, Mission vs. Victorian) but the actual "type" of table (or function: dining, side, step, library, parsons, lamp etc etc etc)

Does anyone know of a great site that has a bunch of photos of representative types? Everything I keep looking at wants to only discuss design styles.

NULL NULL
(@klm3comcast-net)
Noble Member
06/08/2008 6:59 pm  

catalogs
what about looking at the big online catalogs for places like Room & Board furniture? Or Crate & Barrel or whatever. They group by function and have lots of photos.

ReplyQuote
dashes
(@dashes)
Prominent Member
06/08/2008 10:28 pm  

I'll try, but these are older pieces
The sort of things they don't seem to make anymore, or at least not with the idiosyncracies that these have.
For example, one is perhaps a sofa table, or an entry/hall table, it's taller than a coffee/end table but shorter than a dining table, long (about 54"+) and thin (about 16") - I've seen this called so many different things - console, etc. But the way the bottom is also is distinct which might further pinpoint it's intended function (it only has the bottom stretchers connecting the legs on 3 sides, so chairs can slide under it.
I was just going to give it away but then I thought, hey wait a minute, what if this is an interesting piece, just because it's not the style I want to keep anymore (and this is how good stuff ends up in thrift stores and cheap on CL).
The other pieces are similarly not just easy to categorize.
I guess I'll take a look at some furniture catalogs, thanks for the suggestion.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2008 11:09 pm  

The absence of
a stretcher on one long side isn't necessarily for the provision of chairs -- and it's unlikely that a table lower than 28" (say) would have been intended for seated users, isn't it ?
A hall table, while normally higher than yours (?), could benefit from an "open" front so that baggage, parcels, shoes, etc could be temporarily placed under it.
Perhaps plants, or other ornaments, were the intended occupants of this table ? As such, it could have been placed against a wall or at the back of a sofa. . .

ReplyQuote
dashes
(@dashes)
Prominent Member
06/08/2008 11:17 pm  

Thanks SDR, good observations
Those are the sort of things I need to consider.
True, it's certainly not comfortable (or even possible, if you have knees) to sit at this table, but I could not otherwise understand the stretcher placement.
And until yesterday, I did have it as an entry table and it did nicely as a place to put shoes.
Form and function!

ReplyQuote
Killian
(@killian)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2008 11:41 pm  

try occassional table,its a...
try occassional table,its a good catch all.
I didnt read everything but by hall table do you mean a console table ?

ReplyQuote
dashes
(@dashes)
Prominent Member
07/08/2008 1:10 am  

Hall = Console = Sofa (?)
At least so far that's my assumption - can't figure out what would distinguish them, if anything

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2008 1:32 am  

Looks like they are basically the same, just depends on where you place them.

ReplyQuote
dashes
(@dashes)
Prominent Member
07/08/2008 1:55 am  

Hmm, mine is about 26" so maybe it's a sofa table
See these are the little details I need to know about, thanks.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2008 2:19 am  

I retracted...
my previous post since I quickly browsed some contemporary sofas online and found that there were also around 30 - 35" in height. Initially, I had my own sofa in mind, which has a rather low back.

ReplyQuote
Big Television Man
(@big-television-man)
Famed Member
07/08/2008 4:21 am  

Wow the question of table height
was just an issue this past weekend. Several retailers indicated the following measurement differentials regarding "hall" and "sofa" table heights. Hall tables tend to mimic countertop heights 36 inches tall with variations up or down by perhaps 2 to 3 inches. This height is relative to issues of convenience, placing mail, keys, gloves, etc.
Sofa or console heights tend to be a bit lower so as to not exceed the height of the sofa back and given the wide variety in sofa back heights, these tables tend to have a broader range of overall height. Legs braced on 3 sides were more for issues of overall stability relative to their generally wide span and rather narrow depth, while at the same time presenting a more open look to the hall and/or the rest of the room when placed behind a sofa yet still open to the room. I heard these explanations at two different retailers, which leads me to believe there might be some validity.

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2008 4:53 am  

Picture?
If you posted a picture of your table I might be able to tell you what it is. Long, skinny and lower than dining height could be called alot of things, some of which have already been discussed. How old is it? What wood? What do the legs/stretchers look like? Does it have drawers or doors? It could be a sideboard, a huntboard, a credenza, a chest on stand, a drinks cupboard, you get the picture.
Most antiques dealers are old school and if we need to look something up, we use our reference books. Judith Miller's antiques guides have great pictures.
You might try searching online under antiques "dictionary" or "encyclopedia" or "glossary" for descriptions and pictures.
Another thing to try is perusing past auction catalogues online from Christies, Sothebys, Wrights, etc. They usually have loooooong descriptions with pictures of each lot sold and the price it brought.
Good luck!

ReplyQuote
dashes
(@dashes)
Prominent Member
07/08/2008 8:29 am  

Riki, I can't get a good photo
I just moved it into my "overflow" room and it's already so packed in and covered with stuff -- but here's a partial shot, enough to give an idea of what it is. Also, a close up of one of the corners. The wood is a very nice dark patinated oak. The top has an inset glass piece. But aside from this table, I have several others that I cannot identify either, so it's not just this one. Thanks for any input, appreciate it!

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2008 8:46 am  

Looks like. . .
Mahogany library table from the 1920's, American. Retail around $135.

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2008 8:49 am  

Oak?
Dashes, if it is oak, it has been refinished with a ton of polyurethane which makes it worth even less. I say Goodwill or garage sale!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register