Cart

Help needed to ID t...

Help needed to ID these Danish Lounge chairs  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

HanaleiKim
(@hanaleikim)
09/10/2014 4:06 am  

We picked these up, along with a ton of other furniture, last year at the estate sale of an older couple who had owned a Danish Modern Furniture Store in Southern California back in the 50s/60s.  We can ID everything else we purchased except these.  They look so similar to the Eames Aluminum series chairs but the tops are made from teak. Swivel bases are aluminum.  I'm trying to ID the maker and see if anyone can direct me to a photo or drawing that would include the original cushions.  I'm getting ready to just make something up for the cushion design...and that's not always a good thing.Thank you for any and all information you can provide!  Clues, links, other pics, etc. And before I get any peanut gallery comments, yes, that is my 1960s beach cruiser bike in the background of one shot 🙂

SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
09/10/2014 6:40 am  

Interesting.  Nice looking chair.  The cross slats seem to be well placed for comfort on the back -- but what supports the weight of the sitter at the seat ?  Maybe that cusion has a built-in panel of some sort ?
The slats fall where they should, with one for the lumbar and another for the shoulder blades ?  Maybe a single pad for the entire chair ?

ReplyQuote
HanaleiKim
(@hanaleikim)
09/10/2014 7:28 am  

There are a series of webbing strips that go across the bottom inside of the chair.  I've ordered replacement webbing since the original was the pirelli rubberized webbing and was brittle and cracking.  We'll install it once it arrives.  
The chair from the side looks so much like the Eames Aluminum series.  Any chance the earliest ones were made of wood?  Or perhaps its an homage to that design by another maker?  That is the only chair I've been able to find after hours of browsing the net that looks remotely like it.  Pic attached.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
09/10/2014 8:02 am  

It's very handsome.  It may be an homage.  Note that the arm hoops on your chair are quite a bit larger -- more forward -- than the ones on the Eames design.  No, I doubt the Eameses would have made a trial one in wood; they knew from the start how they intended to make their chair, and of what material.  An exact copy in wood copy could have been made to check the form -- but that isn't what we have, either.
Can you see  how those arms are made ?  Is there any sign of lamination -- or of joints at the corners of the hoops ?  It would have to be one or the other;  the bends are too tight to be the result of steam bending, for instance.

ReplyQuote
HanaleiKim
(@hanaleikim)
09/10/2014 11:06 pm  

Yes, the arms are laminated.  A really nice lamination job, according to my woodworking husband, with 1/16" layers and finished in a manner that makes the lamination difficult to see except under bright light.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
10/10/2014 2:40 am  

Thanks.  That's interesting news.  I'm not sure I've seen a continuous lamination like this one -- a complete loop, circular or otherwise.  The problem is to join the ends of the laminae invisibly, while wrangling the material into the desired shape.  Can you see where a given layer ends -- a joint in a ply, in other words ? Ideally, they would be distributed randomly throughout the piece. That's an almost unimaginable feat . . .
As a separate issue, the most effective way to make lamination invisible is to cut the plies from a single piece of wood -- so the color matches perfectly throughout.  I imagine that's what's been done here. Finishing then becomes easy; even a clear finish doesn't reveal the fact of lamination, and a cursory glance convinces the observor that he's seeing solid wood.

ReplyQuote
HanaleiKim
(@hanaleikim)
16/10/2014 3:55 am  

The laminations are very hard to see.  You can really only see them from the side and only if you look closely.  Yes, the lamination joints are distributed throught the layers however I don't know how "random" it is since the joins appear in the same places on each piece.
They're such well made pieces.  I would love to figure out what kind of pad they had originally!

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
HanaleiKim
(@hanaleikim)
16/10/2014 9:43 pm  

Oh my gosh!  YES it is!!!
Thank you so much!

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2014 10:29 pm  

(Gotta love that -- a drop-down ad you can't get rid of without subscribing . . . !)

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2014 11:06 pm  

Yeah, horrible website that.
Here:

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2014 11:38 pm  

Thanks.  The page mentioned leather straps;  isn't that unusual -- and potentially less satisfactory than synthetic ones ?
Leif, how would you approach a continuous lamination like that arm hoop -- if you had to ?  Doesn't it seem like an almost impossible task, to make the bends and clamp the whole thing, while keeping the plies from gapping (or overlapping) ?

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2014 2:12 am  

those cushions (in my opinion of course) are not complimentary.  It makes the chair looks so...stodgy.  Your chair looks better nekid.  I would think something with a little volume would look better.  

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2014 2:22 am  

Almost every structure -- including the stick-framed house -- looks better "nekid." I sympathize. But the cushions shown are at least sleek and rational -- aren't they ?  

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2014 3:18 am  

I don't like how the fabric ripples horizontally.  That happens when the inside back has less surface area than the outside back, probably because the foam has conformed to the curve of the frame.  Better to cut a few kerfs in the foam and create some curve in the cushion itself, then cut the fabric to fit that.  That's what i'd, do, anyway.
I have seen that base somewhere before.  The ends of the feet, anyway.  

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register