Cart

Eames arm shells wi...

Eames arm shells with 3 dots and an AX logo/ stamp  

RSS

modernefamilie
(@modernefamilie)
Noble Member
26/03/2015 7:20 pm  

I've searched and come up empty.Its generally accepted that the 3 dots in a triangle represent a 3rd Generation Zenith shell. No "Z" or "S" in the middle.A black stamp on both that says "AX".Can someone identify the manufacturer and location?Thanks!  

Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
27/03/2015 3:07 pm  

You are correct. Probabaly a Summit Plastics, Kalamazoo MI shell from around 1954-56 ish.
I'm a little blurry on the sigificance of the "AX" stamp, but I believe there was a Fritz Hansen Designs distributorship or "collection" of some kind for a short time (I think in the USA, but not sure.) 
I have a pair of shells with eiffel bases from a Baltimore, Maryland estate with the three dots and the AX stamp. The seller swore they were purchased new by the original owner in 1954-55. The glides on the bases are original boot type, and the color of the shells (a very pinky and opaque salmon) seems to support the seller's dating.
Hope this helps!

ReplyQuote
Fliper
(@fliper)
12/12/2015 9:26 pm  

I have the same chair, thee dots and stamped AX. 15 1/2 inches tall, and no round things on the bottom of the legs.
Is this chair valuable?

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
13/12/2015 11:28 pm  

Sorry, I guess someone has to say it… "this is not a valuation thread"
3rd (last) Zenith generation, 3-dot Zenith 1954-55 ish…
a very desirable color ( Elephant Hide Grey )
really nice beautiful chair, fairly early, uncommon, but not ultra super-duper rare.
the AX stamp is cool, and adds mystery, but probably doesn't change price (yet)
I have seen these transitional shells with both early x bases and later H bases.
also some with early large shock mounts, but most with smaller shock mounts such as yours.
this is probably a first version H base that happens to be missing its boot glides. early boot glide type H bases were only made for a year or two
there are plenty of completed auctions of these on ebay for comparison
age matters
condition matters
color matters
fiber beauty matters
patience in selling matters
with a name like "Fliper", I guess that says everything?
(was the above a valuation?)

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register