Design Addict

Cart

Did Jethro Bodine d...

Did Jethro Bodine design my rocking chair?  

RSS

vintageobssesive
(@vintageobssesive)
Trusted Member
28/02/2016 10:22 pm  

Hi All. I picked this up today. Looks to be "in the manner of" Tapiovaara. Maybe a Pastoe manufactured piece? Probably a no-name knock off but it cost nothing so I took a chance.
Anyone have any info on it or is it another fine design courtesy of our friend Jethro?
Thanks and happy Sunday.

difeliciantonio
(@difeliciantonio)
Noble Member
29/02/2016 9:56 am  

flip it over and show the bottom side. i have 5 chairs from Tapiovaara and i will compare

ReplyQuote
vintageobssesive
(@vintageobssesive)
Trusted Member
01/03/2016 1:23 pm  

Thanks. I've attached a couple of photos of the bottom of the rocker. No markings and it looks like the previous owner tried to repair it by attaching a thin piece of plywood. Not sure what the repair is for as I don't see any cracks. I'll need to llok more closely at it when I have some time.
Cheers.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
01/03/2016 3:19 pm  

Pretty sure those screws going diagonally through the leg tenons are a signature Elly May detail. Jed might have slapped the old board onto the bottom of the seat one day out in the garage, though. Does it emit a faint aroma of possum stew by any chance?

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
01/03/2016 3:19 pm  

Those screws at the tops of the legs look like they do not belong.
And since the seat is solid, it looks like it expanded and tore the plywood bandaid to shreds. At least it was weaker than the seat. I would remove that piece of plywood though, because in your residence the seat is acclimating to a new humidity/temperature, so it is on the move.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
01/03/2016 3:25 pm  

This is something that I read this morning.
"Jed once mentioned that Jethro was the only baby he knew born with a full set of teeth".
Hi,
Aunt Mark
ps this would explain the damage to the bottom of the seat.

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
01/03/2016 5:59 pm  

I believe the actual repair was done by Elly May Clampett's apprentice Betsy. Work was accompanied by the musical styling of Jed Clampette.
By this time it is believed Jethro had abandoned his design career in lieu of competitive cycling. The facts are somewhat sketchy, but seem correct for this chair.
I hope this helps...

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
01/03/2016 6:02 pm  

I think Granny added the screws. Elly Mae would have used chewin' gum.
In my opinion, the chair is an inexpensive item, a mashup of the Tapiovaara rocker and with elements of the Farstrup Mobelfabrik chair below. The great Scandianvian designs in this vein all had more spindles in the back--sometimes a lot more, and it seems like the backs on most of them were narrower at the top rather than wider. They also have more generous proportions than this chair. This one looks like it was made as narrow as possible, maybe to save on materials?
The screws are there because the legs shrank a bit and got loose, probably because the wood was used before it was completely dried or stable or whatever. This is really common in the inexpensive Windsor dining chairs in this style that are made in China. Not saying your chair is made in China, only that the loose joints may be a sign that less care was taken in making it. Of course joints can work loose on very expensive chairs, too.
I wonder if that patch thing on the underside is covering something up rather than repairing a crack?
I found another just like it but it has been painted and no source is given. It's next to a "Nesto" chair by Lena Larsson for Pastoe (Sweden) but that doesn't necessarily mean a thing. (Bottom photo is of the Farstrup Mobelfabrik armchair.)
http://blog.sampleboard.com/2014/07/23/trend-alert-decorating-pastel-col...

ReplyQuote
vintageobssesive
(@vintageobssesive)
Trusted Member
02/03/2016 2:44 am  

Thanks for the laughs, all. I have uncovered definite pictorial proof of this chair's origins (see attached, paying careful attention to the area right behind granny) so all is now clear. This is proof positive of the chair's origins.
Seriously though, there is no designer and the manufacturer will remain a mystery (regardless of what this website claims):
http://zogoedalsoud.nl/en_GB/portfolio/pasteo-rocking-chair/

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
02/03/2016 3:55 am  

Here is the similar rocking chair from Pastoe's 1959 catalog (I think it is a Cees Braakman design when it does not mention any other designer, but it might not be). Not the same chair anyway.
These modern interpretations of Windsor chairs and rockers are plentiful. They are easy to make, and don't require much material, so just about everyone designed one at some point. You might find out who made it eventually. Maybe even who designed it, but even if it turned out to be a designer piece even by a famous designer, it still won't be much of a much, because they are practically a vernacular design.

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
02/03/2016 4:26 am  

vintageobssesive,
Who knew of Granny's many talents. The designer and her staff. Thank you for making the attribution clear.

ReplyQuote
vintageobssesive
(@vintageobssesive)
Trusted Member
02/03/2016 5:02 am  

Thanks for the feedback (both light hearted and serious) everyone.
It was the best $40 I ever spent.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register