Cart

Danish stamp ID

Danish stamp ID  

RSS

KB71
 KB71
(@kb71)
28/09/2013 12:48 am  

Hi, Could anybody shed some light on this manufactures stamp. I have never seen it before & cannot find another. Any help gladly appreciated. Its on a desk if that's of any use. Thanks

Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
28/09/2013 12:57 am  

Svend A Madsen
Maybe?
(a photo of the desk would help the ID)

ReplyQuote
KB71
 KB71
(@kb71)
28/09/2013 2:32 pm  

Desk Picture
Hi,
Thanks for reply.
Here's a picture of the desk.
It has a lift up flap in the top with a mirror in the centre.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
28/09/2013 3:07 pm  

Svend A Madsen
it is.

ReplyQuote
KB71
 KB71
(@kb71)
28/09/2013 3:32 pm  

Thanks
Thanks very much for that.
Good spotting of the stamp.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
20/04/2016 6:51 pm  

It's amazing how much info is floating around the halls of DA.
I was considering bidding on a set of four Svend A Madsen chairs last night, but pulled the plug as the price went too high. This chair design (different photos than the auction set) is often found in the US with a Moreddi import stamp on them. As is often the case, the manufacturer's stamp is omitted for these pieces.
During my searching, I did come across one non-Moreddi example online that had the following stamp: "MADE IN DENMARK", "designed by Svend A Madsen", along with the same NBM logo from above.
I was unable to determine what NBM stood for. While Madsen had documented collaborations with many different manufacturers, none seemed to match up with the NBM acronym. If you do a Madsen NBM search, there are a few designs that pop up, but everyone simply goes with "NBM" as the name of the manufacturer.
On the subject of the chair's design, here are my thoughts:
1) The location of the kink in the back rest slats seemed to be the opposite of what would be ideal ergonomically. When I sat in the chair, the most comfortable position is to shape your back to match the backrest. While that position is comfortable, you end up looking upwards a little. If you want to look straight ahead or down a little, you need to lean forward away from the backrest, which then results in the kink providing the only contact at your lower back.
2) Almost every joint in these four chairs were loose, including some top corner backrest joints. It would have required pretty much a complete dis-assembly and re-glue to make sturdy again. I found this a bit odd, especially with the abundance of corner blocking and additional wood supports underneath.
3) I usually get this wrong, but I thought the framing was mostly afrormosia with teak backrest slats.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
20/04/2016 8:51 pm  

cdsilva: there is a set of these near me for sale as well, and they are Afrormosia frames with teak slats. I suppose that Afrormosia is too hard and brittle to make slats like those. And they looked like they were in not very good shape either.

ReplyQuote
arthurwood
(@arthurwood)
23/11/2016 10:55 pm  

Hi
Hope you are well
I just read your post, I have a folding dressing table with nearly the exact same stamp. Thanks to you I know that it is NBM. It is definitely a Svend A Madsen but i have a query about another word that is written between Designed by ........... Svend A Madsen. Do you know what that word is please?
Attached is the photo of the stamp I have.
Thanks in Advance for your help
AW

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
23/11/2016 11:11 pm  

probably "Architect". Here is a different Madsen stamp which is easier to read.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
23/11/2016 11:19 pm  

"Architect" seems like a very reasonable guess.

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
27/05/2023 6:42 pm  

I picked up one of these Svend Aage Madsen chairs a couple of days ago and while researching came across this old thread that discusses the chair and the NBM stamp.  Doing a little more research I found some posts that identify NBM as Nørre Broby Maskinsnedkeri.  Begun in 1942 by Oluf Theodor Larsen, they  established a relationship with Moreddi in the 50's and also sold a lot of their furniture to the American service members stationed in Europe before going out of business in 1977. A good history of the company can be found here:    https://ugeavisen.dk/ugeavisenfaaborg/fra-succes-til-fallit-saadan-gik-nr-broby-maskinsnedkeri-fra-at-saelge-moebler-i-massevis-til-at-dreje-noeglen-om

Here's a photo of my chair, which has the same NBM stamp on the underside.  And like the ones cdsilva and Zephyr came across,  it's in pretty rough shape with loose joints and a cracked rear apron, but it was nearly free.  

1685205734-SAM.jpg

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
27/05/2023 8:42 pm  

Never heard of the company. Interesting chairs. You hardly can go wrong with teak. 😅

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
29/05/2023 11:56 am  

@mark737. @cdsilva. Interesting article about the design of  the"Akerblom" dining chairs, explaining the ergonomics and background behind the "kink" in the backrest design of this chair.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2021/09/09/swedish-science/

I am fairly sure I came across the architectural drawing for the Akerblom chair in one of the Dansk Kuntshandværk volumes but not prepared to go through all 41 pages on that site to find it. Might find the exact volume /article at some stage in the future while looking for something else!

Edit: that should read 41 volumes. I would have no problem if it was just 41 pages. 😆 

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

mark737 liked
ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
29/05/2023 4:19 pm  

Nice find on the articles, Mark and Lexi. Very interesting.

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
29/05/2023 5:22 pm  

@lexi  Thanks for interesting article on the ergonomics of this design.  While reading it I had to sit in my chair and test the lumbar support but it turned into a recliner due to the loose joints, so I'll have to wait until it's repaired to fully enjoy the design.     

lexi liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register