Design Addict

Cart

Chair in the style ...

Chair in the style of Pierre Jeanneret Kangaroo chair made in New Zealand c.1948.  

RSS

tick
 tick
(@tick)
Noble Member
26/03/2015 2:29 am  

Hi,I am trying to find the designer of a lounge chair I recently bought in Australia. It turns out that the chair was made in New Zealand. The chair appeared in an issue of the New Zealand Design Review magazine in September 1948 and has a strong resemblance to the Kangaroo chair designed by Pierre Jeanneret in 1950's.The chair has been attributed to Ernst Plischke, but this view is not shared by the  Museum of New Zealand: Te Papa Tongarewa, who also have an example of the chair in their collection. It's interesting that a magazine rack attributed to Ernst Plischke is stylistically similar to the chair, yet the chair is not considered to be an Ernst Plischke design. The chair has also been attributed to the design group Brenner Associates who started operating in New Zealand in 1949, but there is no evidence to support this view.According to the New Zealand Design Review, the chair originally had sprung cushions upholstered in leather and was designed for commericial production. I haven't seen a lot of these chairs for sale, so I imagine that the production run was fairly limited.Any help in identifying the chair is much appreciated. cheers,Dean.

Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register