Max Bill was born 22 December 1908. He was a Swiss architect, artist, painter, typeface designer, industrial designerand graphic designer. After an apprenticeship as a silversmith during 1924-1927, Bill took up studies at the Bauhaus in Dessau under many teachers including Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee and Oskar Schlemmer from 1927 to 1929, after which he moved to Zurich. Bill is widely considered the single most decisive influence on Swiss graphic design beginning in the 1950s with his theoretical writing and progressive work.
As a designer and artist, Bill sought to create forms which visually represent the New Physics of the early 20th century. He sought to create objects so that the new science of form could be understood by the senses: that is as a concrete art. In 1981, he continued to produce architectural designs, such as those for a museum of contemporary art in Florence and in 1987 for the Bauhaus Archive in Berlin. In 1982 he also entered a competition for an addition to the Neue Nationalgalerie in Berlin, built to a design by Mies van der Rohe. Bill executed many public sculptures in Europe and exhibited extensively in galleries and museums. He passed away in 1994, at the age of 85 en route to the hospital when he got a heart attack at the Berlin Tegel Airport.