Cart

knoll credenza rest...

knoll credenza restoration question  

RSS

glassartist
(@glassartist)
Illustrious Member
21/03/2014 8:38 am  

I have a knoll credenza with a less than charming wood grain laminate top. Anyone here have any luck removing laminate like this? Method? Also it is missing a leg. If anyone can steer me towards one I would appreciate it. The leg is the square tube chrome one with the black plastic foot. Thanks

Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
21/03/2014 1:59 pm  

Hi glassman.
I'm not sure about the laminate, sorry. But consider removing the remaining 5 legs and mounting the battleship to the wall (at its intended height).
just a thought,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
21/03/2014 3:52 pm  

I've seen such things done wi...
I've seen such things done with a heat gun and putty knife. But I'd be worried about damaging the particle board underneath.

ReplyQuote
mario
(@mario)
Noble Member
21/03/2014 9:23 pm  

charming wood laminate....
leave the laminate alone
it is easier adding than subtracting on an industrially glued surface. so add another surface to it.
i add white formica but have friends that have added walnut veneer over
laminates with very good results.
your credenza will work just fine with four legs.
good luck!

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
21/03/2014 11:01 pm  

I so want to see an example of where someone has removed the legs on this particular credenza..and hung it on the wall (as if it were floating).
Aunt Mark
ps long live laminate. I like it.

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
22/03/2014 12:13 am  

Laminate is extremely...
Laminate is extremely practical for withstanding rough use from even the dumbest and most careless mammals.
Slam that glass down. That's okay.
Spill all over it and just wipe it off. No big deal.
What a miracle.
Wood grained plastic is nonetheless intrinsically tacky, although I do personally do enjoy it in my own home.
I'd probably just slap down a nice linen of some sort over it, in lieu of tearing it apart, that is-

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
22/03/2014 7:46 am  

I don't know what this
cabinet looks like, but in some cases the top panel can be removed from the case, which has its own top. The screws would be inside, of course. If so, a new panel, finished the way you like, could be less trouble and expense than messing with the existing finish. What is particle board worth, really ? Do the new one on plywood or MDF, if you're contemplating veneer or laminate.
Removing the center leg from a five- or six-legged case can allow the middle to sag -- at the front, where it shows (doors and drawers get out of line). I'll find a photo I just saw in a Haworth chair ad . . .

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
22/03/2014 7:55 am  

It's hard to believe a stylist would let this sagging desk into a furniture photo shoot, isn't it . . . ?

ReplyQuote
glassartist
(@glassartist)
Illustrious Member
23/03/2014 4:24 am  

Thanks folks
for responses thus far. As for the leg, I was hoping to find someone who wall mounted theirs and still had the legs. As SDR pointed out, having 5 of 6 will lead to sagging issues. As for the laminate, I have gone over a couple of wood grain laminate Nelson desk tops with white laminate with great results, but they have laminate edging whereas the credenza does not. So you would see the double profile of the laminate edge. I imagine it would be quite noticeable. If anone has pics of the factory wall mount set up, I am curious as a last resort solution.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@paulannapaulanna-homechoice-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
23/03/2014 1:54 pm  

Do you have pictures? Couldn't you just put a marble top on it?

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register