Cart

Question Regarding ...

Question Regarding Burke Saarinen Tulip Table and Chairs  

RSS

we.r.1
(@we-r-1)
Prominent Member
11/10/2016 4:46 pm  

I was very lucky to purchase for little money Burke Saarinen table and four chairs last Sunday. The seats vinyl is lemon green and the table top matches the color of the vinyl. After a close inspection, it looks like - and it is - that the white laminate top at one time has been painted so it would match the vinyl. My question is: is it possible that it was originally painted by the manufacturer? And if it is not, I am thinking to strip the paint. Your advise and feedback is very much appreciated.
One other thing , whoever owned this set before they have have stripped the old paint on the chair bases and the refinished then with a very hi quality powder paint - they look new...!

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
11/10/2016 5:28 pm  

I've seen a ton of Burke tables over the years and not one has ever had a painted laminate top. I have seen tons of furniture in general that has been painted to match something or other in the rest of the decor of the home, so that seems a likely explanation of what you have. Way more likely than the thing being painted originally. Also, I'm pretty sure that there weren't any paints in that era that would adhere to plastic very well, so it would not have been a durable finish. Now there are paints made specifically for plastic but they're a very recent innovation.

ReplyQuote
Zephyr
(@zephyr)
Illustrious Member
12/10/2016 4:25 am  

Strip carefully, most of the heavy duty strippers will damage plastic.

ReplyQuote
we.r.1
(@we-r-1)
Prominent Member
12/10/2016 6:54 pm  

Thank you Spanky and Zephyr for for your very helpful information and suggestions. Now I have a huge task at hand as how to strip the paint without damaging the actual piece - I would have forego doing it but the rest of the set is in almost perfect shape.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register