George Nelson Pedes...

George Nelson Pedestal Table question  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

ZooMob
(@zoomob)
Honorable Member
14/10/2015 6:21 am  

I just picked up a Nelson Pedestal Base with some sort of homemade top on it, and would like to replace it with an appropriate, original top. It is the 21.5" version. My question is whether is there is more than one size (not height) base for these tables? Do they vary in any way other than height? That is, with my 21.5" base, can I go with wither the small or large table top?

Thanks.

Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
14/10/2015 4:52 pm  

Hi ZooMob,
The laminate top for your Nelson End Table is available in either a 17" or 28.5" diameter. All end table pedestal bases are 22.5" tall...I think.
Best,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
14/10/2015 5:06 pm  

Why is there a strange looking fellow with horns in an inset in that catalog/book?

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
14/10/2015 5:18 pm  

I think that the horned up person is either Ricky Nelson or SDR after church. I can't decide.
Best,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2015 8:55 am  

I blame it on Ray. Or maybe Mae. I was elsewhere that day . . .
"Manet, Monet, tippy-tippy tay tay" (J Seinfeld)

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2015 6:40 pm  

It's this guy, who got rid of the horns sometime between the George Nelson photoshoot and Aunt Mark getting that mirror.

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2015 6:46 pm  

80s graphics. I think they were going for Delightful Irreverence or something.
The same pedestal is used for the different tops. The diameter is the same where top attaches.
The top original to the table has a cork-like bevel and a thin birch edge that is extremely handsome.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2015 7:48 pm  

mini, I'm pretty sure the core material of the tops is particle board or what the Brits call "chipboard". That said, not all particle board is created equal.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2015 8:33 pm  

I'm quite pleased with my particle-board "masonry" . . .
I still hope to rescue particle board from the scrap-heap of "bad construction material." So I'm happy to hear that one of our better MCM designers was willing and able to expose a PB edge, all that time ago.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2015 3:07 am  

Dearest Spanky, you make me laugh.
oh how I wish that you that had a handsome single brother. You are a treasure. Now, I think that George and Ricky Nelson perhaps got a bit carried away with the particle board on this table. I guess it would have cost more to have asphalt or pine instead. I like all wood. I like _______. Don't forget to feed the birds.
Blazed,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2015 3:12 am  

please note, all phillips screws located underside of particle board are aligned. It's all in the details.
Oh my glides,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
ZooMob
(@zoomob)
Honorable Member
16/10/2015 5:28 am  

Thanks for sharing the photos. Now I just need to find a proper top. Nothing on ebay. Hoping I can turn one up here in West Michigan in the H-M homeland.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2015 6:09 am  

Anyone with a woodworking shop could produce a replica of the top Mark shows. If a center-point hole can be driven part-way through the chosen disc material, then a table router or even a table saw can spin a perfect disc. And for the bevel -- milled before or after a top surface has been chosen and applied -- a rig could be attached to a good table-saw fence so that the disc can be spun on a horizontal axis, in a vertical orientation, with the saw blade at the appropriate angle and the fence moved progressively closer to the blade while the disc is spun slowly by hand.
Any wood-based sheet product should be treated similarly on both faces, to prevent warpage. This is true whether a wet finish, a lamination, or veneering is contemplated. It looks to me like the Nelson top has a form of secondary plastic laminate material -- almost certainly a phenolic "backing sheet, one of our most beautiful unseen materials"-- on its underside. This would have been applied simultaneously with the face laminate, preferably with rigid glue rather than contact adhesive !
tktoo ? Leif ? Heath ?

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2015 6:58 am  

I really, really, really dislike exposed particle board. It is a personal deficiency.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2015 7:43 am  

I don't blame you at all. How about OSB (oriented strand board) ? It's been used for a while now for finished surfaces: walls, even floors. I did a silver-painted OSB reception table for a salon a few years ago . . .
Maybe the next threshold will be exposed styrofoam ?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register