other enthusiasms  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
19/12/2014 12:44 am  

Does your taste in desgn spread outwards in similar ways? What food, music and books do you enjoy?Numan is a current favourite for me. Merry christmas everyone, I expect a signed copy of Replicas in my post box, cheers!

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
19/12/2014 6:06 am  

And now for something completely different.
I think that's one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever and I have loved it ever since I had to analyze it in music theory class in college a long time ago.  Stravinsky's Rite of Spring is probably the piece that has most blown my mind on the most occasions.  
I have lots of favorite foods but right now I'm looking forward to our traditional Danish Christmas dinner---yum!

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
19/12/2014 8:41 am  

I'm pigging out on Bach, on YouTube. All those delicious recordings of the cantatas, made 15 to 40 years ago, by Richter and Hononcourt and Koopman and Herrewege. Current fave: #124. At least three different performances are available, side by side . . .
And, I just discovered Rex Stout. My crime detection needs are met for the next few months, at least !

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
19/12/2014 11:48 am  

Bach is amazing, it was only a couple of years ago that it hit me.
Ill look up the author, bizaarley all the Rebus novels helped me stop smoking this year.
I can recomend The Windup Girl, it was a blast.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
19/12/2014 3:22 pm  

I've nearly figured out most of the etudes, but long to play the blues like my friend Luca.
Best,
Aunt M.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
19/12/2014 3:30 pm  

and some Jesus birthday party music, too.  It's all about the holiday blues.  Yup.

Best,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
19/12/2014 7:15 pm  

Perfume Genius and Grouper recently released albums which I am digging.

ReplyQuote
brbeard
(@brbeard)
Noble Member
19/12/2014 9:01 pm  

I'm enjoying that Perfume Genius album quite a bit too. If you like that sort of baroque/glammy stuff, you may dig Jobriath too. Not recent. From the 70s (and obviously following in the wake of Bowie), but by no means a rip-off. His two albums are both really unique and enjoyable. Here's a clip of him in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lp_e4wUnz4

A few more semi-obscure gems that may be appreciated here:

D.R. Hooker - "Forge Your Own Chains". Psychedelic Jesus. Private press from 1972. SUCH a good album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3egTE9_Hwk

Rexy Music - Don't Turn Me Away. 1981. Funky and a little disjointed. Love the stilted delivery on this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq_viKr8h4U

Girls - "Methodist Church". This is a late 70s band from Boston called Girls, not the more recent Christopher Owens helmed band (though I like them too). Anyway, this song's a total scorcher and the whole album, Reunion, is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p90D5A2gxsE

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
20/12/2014 12:11 am  

Wow, The Girls are pretty obscure,  I have a copy of that record, it's great.  They have a tune called "Cubist Grid" 
(I may be a heavy user of the new wave)
modern art-wise, see the artwork on all of the Buzzcocks singles, the graphic design of everything on Factory, kitsch modern design such as on The B52's and GO-GOs record sleeves, all the cut & paste classic punk collage stuff...  
it goes on and on and on

ReplyQuote
brbeard
(@brbeard)
Noble Member
20/12/2014 1:26 am  

Cool! Yeah, that's an album I had to resort to ebay to pick up. I've been trying to build my record collection on the cheap, locally, but...I knew that one was going to be a lost cause. And I thought it was a great value at $30. I don't know if you found this through the Mutant Sounds blog like I did, but that (now defunct) blog was amazing and clued me in to so many great things that I likely wouldn't/couldn't have found otherwise. Being a music collector (or collector in general) in the age of the internet and file-sharing is a wonderful thing.
Sidenote - I mistakenly called the second band "Rexy Music". It's just "Rexy" and, to be clear, is not a Bryan Ferry side project.  

ReplyQuote
Gustavo
(@gustavo)
Illustrious Member
24/12/2014 3:31 pm  

Happy Holidays!
Is this the official post this year, isn't?

I like this Heat's off topics. That are more on topic manytimes 😉
And should feel free to say things more freely, I supouse....
I wanted to put "other good scandinavian"
So I post this Vintage Scandinvian.

Not that deep in my ADN, but love the naive-transgrasion (?) and I think fits very well today...
Happy Christmas and great new year for all DAers!

ReplyQuote
waldorf
(@waldorf)
Prominent Member
24/12/2014 5:18 pm  

my favorit B52s 
PLANET CLAIRE
ROCK LOBSTER

ReplyQuote
waldorf
(@waldorf)
Prominent Member
24/12/2014 5:24 pm  

and Fisher Z
Happy Christmas

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
25/12/2014 10:15 am  

More harsh new wave suggestions please, I need to irritate my neighbours enough to çonvince them im a psychopath, maybe they will stop putting things in my bins.
Warm leatherette!

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
26/12/2014 8:15 pm  

Some of you may enjoy this as I do.  R.I.P. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHqQ8KSkjmI

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register