ID: Danish Sideboar...

ID: Danish Sideboard  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
24/06/2016 11:41 pm  

Here is from my 1962 Søborg catalog. It is impossible to see the handles on these, but they might be the same handles. And they are only on plinth bases, but perhaps they were put on legs either before or after 1962. -IF- it is from the series it would be a Kai Lyngfeldt Larsen design.

ReplyQuote
DrPoulet
(@drpoulet)
Illustrious Member
25/06/2016 1:17 am  

There are a few pieces with very similar legs / base but different handles in Søborg 1952 catalog. Most of them are in-house design but a few are credited to Hvidt / Mølgaard.

ReplyQuote
del
 del
(@del)
Trusted Member
27/06/2016 6:39 am  

Great thread! I too have one of these pieces. My search for a maker brought me to Peter lovig based on the pulls of this secretary desk. http://www.mcmhome.ca/products-page/sold/danish-teak-secretarybookcase-b...

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
27/06/2016 7:09 am  

Interesting. Løvig's construction is pretty obvious to spot. There are things like Løvig's drawer slides are stapled to the inside of the case. And the drawer sides do not have a stopped dado. Generally lower end and later feeling than Søborg's construction. I'd be curious to see some details like that on this Løvig piece...?
Based on the construction I see on this piece I doubt that it is Løvig, but those handles sure do look similar.

ReplyQuote
modernefamilie
(@modernefamilie)
Noble Member
03/07/2016 11:55 pm  

Back from a trip. Here are more photos.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
04/07/2016 12:59 am  

That does not look like Løvig to me. I would be very surprised to discover proof that this were anything other than Søborg.
You might try emailing Søborg to see if they can shed more light on it. I suspect that it had a very short production run and did not sell in large numbers.
I have a Mogensen for Søborg coffee table that was produced for probably 5 years from about 1956 to 1961, and in spite of that I've only ever seen two others like it anywhere on the Internet. So I can well imagine that if this sideboard had a shorter production run, it could be very, very hard to find one of these.

ReplyQuote
del
 del
(@del)
Trusted Member
20/07/2016 7:14 pm  

No, mine isn't marked. Trust me, I searched everyone on it. It is identical to yours except the section holding the drawers inside isn't finger jointed like yours and other examples I've seen. K2 modern had a really nice example with great photos but unmarked as well.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
21/07/2016 4:18 pm  

Okay-Here are a few images from a Soborg pamphlet that I found some time ago. Text seems to credit all pieces in the pamphlet to Hvidt/Molgaard. There is a picture of a cabinet on a plinth base that seems to have the same handle ( Hard to see-and I don't have the original pamphlet only a scan) As you can see from the image, these cabinets came with legs or plinth.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
21/07/2016 4:49 pm  

I don't think it is a Hvidt and Mølgaard design because it does not have the visible finger joints on the corners (which the catalog calls dovetails).

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
29/09/2016 2:24 am  

Here is a two page spread from a Søborg catalog that appears to credit the sideboard to Hvidt and Mølgaard.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
29/09/2016 2:47 am  

It is very strange that it is model 50. Søborg used model numbers in that range in the early 1950s for designs with a similar skirt and legs. Some of them were designed by Hvidt and Mølgaard, and some were designed by the Jacobsen family member running the company at the time (Arne?).
So it appears that Søborg decided to update and re-issue an old model, or perhaps it was a model that had only been drawn and not actually manufacturer in the early 1950s.
For one thing, none of those early models were made in teak, per the catalog, and nobody had figured out how to use teak for factory production in the very early 1950s.

ReplyQuote
del
 del
(@del)
Trusted Member
29/09/2016 5:10 pm  

Extraordinary sleuthing Leif!! Its really great to have an ID on this piece. I've been staring at it for 3 years in my dining room always wondering who was behind it.

ReplyQuote
modernefamilie
(@modernefamilie)
Noble Member
29/09/2016 6:00 pm  

Interesting!
Søborg just returned my email and sided with your (Leif) earlier suspicion that it was designed by Kai Lyngfeldt Larsen...

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
30/09/2016 3:51 am  

Would you be willing to share the precise words Søborg used with us. This is an odd one...

ReplyQuote
modernefamilie
(@modernefamilie)
Noble Member
30/09/2016 3:54 am  

Dear Sir,
The sideboard seems to be produced by us in the sixties and the architect was Kai Lyngfeldt Larsen.
Kind Regards,
Carsten Vagn Jacobsen

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register