Arne Jacobsen Fritz...

Arne Jacobsen Fritz Hansen Dot Stool  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
21/01/2016 2:25 am  

Neither of the newer 1960s and 1990s Fritz Hansen catalogs I have show either stool 🙁

ReplyQuote
MCMStockholm
(@mcmstockholm)
21/01/2016 9:49 am  

I think that the model with the bolts through the seat (3150) was designed by FH, as they say. AJ later changed how the base is attached to the seat and got credited. This was probably also better for sales.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
21/01/2016 4:01 pm  

Okay-I decided to dig a bit more. Found these pictures in Modern Danish Furniture (Esbjorn Hiort, 1956) showing the stools and attributing the design to Soren Hansen for Fritz Hansen, 1953.
The pictures of the stacked stools seems to be the same as the one from the FH Catalog.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
23/01/2016 5:46 am  

Last post on this from me

ReplyQuote
DrPoulet
(@drpoulet)
Illustrious Member
24/01/2016 1:19 pm  

Thank you jesgord for your research. I think that the conclusion of all this is that the stool with the apparent bolts is an in- house Fritz Hansen design (maybe Søren Hansen) and that Arne Jacobsen somehow improved it. I guess that the role of Jacobsen in the stool design is probably slightly exagerated for marketing reasons...

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
25/01/2016 1:15 am  

The problem with this conclusion is that model 3170 encompasses both versions of the stool, the one with the through bolt, and the one without. And model 3170 is credited authoritatively to:
1. Søren Hansen as a person (or company representative),
2. Fritz Hansen as a company (or design department), and
3. Arne Jacobsen.
And Fritz Hansen represents the stool's design as a collaboration.
The simple fact that at one time model 3170 with through bolts was represented as a 'FH' design, and at another time model 3170 without through bolts was represented as an Arne Jacobsen design does indicate much of anything in the context of the Danish furniture industry. It was not uncommon to see design credits change over time between a designer and the manufacturer.
On the evidence presented by Jesgord, I think you can say that Arne Jacobsen was the designer of any version of the stool that was advertised by Fritz Hansen as model 3170. And the same can be said of Søren Hansen (or 'FH'). Probably the most precise way to say it is to quote what Fritz Hansen currently says about the design.
Absent evidence that Fritz Hansen-- simultaneously-- offered the two different versions of model 3170 with different design credits, I don't see how we can reasonably differentiate designers for the different versions.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
21/02/2016 6:03 am  

Pastoe was an importer of some Danish made things. Here is a catalog page showing the dot stool, with through bolt seat, credited to Arne Jacobsen.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
22/03/2016 4:21 am  

Here is model 3170 without through bolts credited to "FH." This is from an old Fritz Hansen catalog.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register