RSS

phild
(@phild)
26/11/2018 6:28 pm  

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
27/11/2018 1:20 am  

Perhaps you have Euro style hinges that started to appear in the late 1960s. They have adjustment screws to position the doors, and perhaps yours have started slipping?

ReplyQuote
phild
(@phild)
29/11/2018 11:22 am  

Thanks for the reply.

If the hinges are adjustable, would you know how to adjust, please see new image of one hinge on the left door. If these are not adjustable, I have checked and can not see any movement.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
29/11/2018 1:24 pm  

No that is just a normal leaf hinge. Perhaps some photos of the overall piece would help.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
29/11/2018 5:26 pm  

This is a G-Plan piece with proportionally wide doors, no? Maybe try leveling the piece along both horizontal axes by placing shims under the feet as a first step. If that doesn't help, I'd suspect that the case (carcase) has warped or distorted due to long-term overloading and/or exposure to extreme environmental conditions (high or low relative humidity or both). Assuming all hinges are secure, of course. You're not storing gold ingots in there, are you??

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
29/11/2018 7:28 pm  

Tktoo, I was going to suggest the latter especially given that the one on the left is too low and the one on the right is too high.

Pictures of the sideboard would be useful to confirm this and for your information its teak with rosewood pulls, evidently.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
30/11/2018 3:13 am  

The edge banding looks like it is Afrormosia...

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
30/11/2018 4:03 am  

...and after giving the photo of the hinge a second, closer look, it does appear that there might be some movement involved. In addition to what has already been advised, tightening of all hinge fasteners (screws) would go near the top of the list of steps. If the screws won't hold, well, there are remedies for that problem, too, but the blame at least partially belongs with the designer, manufacturer, and the original consumer. One gets what one is willing to pay for as often as not. Apologies for the oversight.

Leif, you crack me up!

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
30/11/2018 11:50 am  

@Leif I suspect its a G Plan so that would make a lot of sense. They didn't use solid teak generally, just afromosia and teak veneer.

ReplyQuote
phild
(@phild)
07/12/2018 2:20 pm  

Hi all,

Thank you for all the replies. Sorry for the delay, flu visited.

Attached is a full picture.

I will check the screws are tight.

Also, is it possible that the 'rug' runner, which it is placed on top of, could be the culprit? As the knots are very tough and perhaps 1 or 2 of the feet may be on some and the others not, or visa-versa...??

ReplyQuote
phild
(@phild)
07/12/2018 2:23 pm  

... I think this is G Plan. Any way to find out whether it's solid teak, afromosia and teak veneer?

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
07/12/2018 3:10 pm  

This would happen if the entire case is being twisted up at the right front. I believe that if you put some shins under the right rear leg the door will begin to fit again. It is possible that in pushing the. Into the case you could have pulled out some of the hinge screws, so check that too.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
07/12/2018 3:14 pm  

I can assure you that it is not solid teak. From a previous photo I can say that it is teak veneer with Afrormosia edge banding. Afrormosia starts its life almost exactly the color of teak and then it darkens in sunlight while teak lightens. After 50 years you get a two tone look.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
07/12/2018 3:49 pm  

Agreed that the case is likely twisted and/or distorted. Easily confirmed with either a spirit level or "winding sticks" but, really, this annoying problem is inherent to proportionally wide doors and should have been anticipated and addressed at the design/prototype stage.

Phil, work through the steps recommended. They should help. Fine adjustments can be made to the hinges by placing paper or other thin shim material behind the hinge leaves here and there. A tad tedious, but only do this if necessary after you've got the piece flat and level and confirmed that all hinges are firmly fixed in place.

ReplyQuote
phild
(@phild)
07/12/2018 4:46 pm  

Thank you very much guys, I give it a try and report back if/once resolved.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register