Cart

Unidentfied Mid Cen...

Unidentfied Mid Century Chairs  

RSS

Danish pastries
(@danish-pastries)
08/10/2018 5:04 pm  

Greetings , This is my first post .

I have a set of chairs that have such high quality construction and beautiful design that I believe they must have been designed by a well known designer yet I have been unable to find any information about them . The arm chairs legs and arms are a continuous piece of bent wood and the rear legs of the side chairs are also bent . I can

Ernest Rams
(@ernest-rams)
Famed Member
08/10/2018 9:54 pm  

Hello. The bent wood was kind of a common practice back then, even if it took skilled people to do it, see Thonet just to cite one. So your chairs might be not necessarily being designed by someone who made a mark in the history of design. Nevertheless you should not like a chair or not based on the designer, but rather on the details, as you mention. I am sure the real experts on this forum might tell you more about these chairs.

Cheers

Ernest

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
09/10/2018 3:00 am  

Hi, can you post an image viewed from the back? Dining chairs are best viewed from the back then the sides seldom from the front. I don't know much about its design history but it has good lines and you like them that's what matters the most. The caning on the back is an insert though and used as an applied decoration instead of weaving the cane directly through the frame which suggest the designer really wanted a caned back chair that appears airy or more transparent like Marcel Breuers Cesca chairs from the 1920s.

Ernest, not sure if I understand your comment about Thonet's bentwood chairs as having no design merit(?). Very few modern (20th century & present) designed chairs had achieved what Thonet's Chair no. 14 from 1859 had accomplished. The design did not copy from the past, that alone pre dated modernist ideas by half a century. It's simplified design/form and construction made it one of the most successful (widely imitated) design icon in history. It was the first chair design that could be transported in large quantities, 90 chair parts in a standard shipping crate instead of 1 or 2 the most in 1860.

ReplyQuote
Danish pastries
(@danish-pastries)
10/10/2018 1:24 am  

Thanks Minimoma

Here is a photo of the back

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register