Teak and cane dining suite  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

DCNZ
 DCNZ
(@dcnz)
Eminent Member
15/11/2017 10:54 pm  

Does anyone have any ideas on who designed or made this suite please?

No maker marks at all but appears very well made, table has screw in legs with hidden thread inside the table top.

Chairs are Teak and Beechwood with damaged split cane which I'm contemplating reweaving or re-upholstering.

Lovely shape to the laminated bent backrests.

Thank You Dave
img3098.jpg675468843.jpg

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/11/2017 1:01 am  

I can tell you the answer, but I am really curious to see the bolt coming out of the top of the leg and where it screws into the table. I've never realized this dining table was made this way, and I've never seen anything larger than a coffee table made this way.

ReplyQuote
DCNZ
 DCNZ
(@dcnz)
Eminent Member
16/11/2017 1:52 am  

Thanks for that Leif , sorry - you can or you can't answer the previous question?

I've taken a close up of the screw in leg with 16mm dia thread. I've only ever seen this on coffee tables as-well.

obviously a vintage table which has stood the test of time so a reasonable joint.

Cheers Dave

ReplyQuote
DCNZ
 DCNZ
(@dcnz)
Eminent Member
16/11/2017 2:02 am  

another clearer pic

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
16/11/2017 2:11 am  

They look like Pia chairs at a glance, but I can't see the appropriate joiner on the front legs and I've never seen them caned and then they also aren't quite the right shape either 😛

So definitely not Pia!

ReplyQuote
DCNZ
 DCNZ
(@dcnz)
Eminent Member
16/11/2017 2:19 am  

Thanks for that yep I found those while searching. Mine have square legs which morph into turned legs at each end of the back leg and at the bottom of the front. Cheers D

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/11/2017 2:41 am  

Exactly like a scaled up version of a coffee table. I wonder how the factory got the leg to square up perfectly? That must have required a bunch of trial and error.

Anyway, the set is Nanna Ditzel for Poul Kolds Savv

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
16/11/2017 2:43 am  

Heh, wow. Good find. Great id Leif

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/11/2017 2:43 am  

It appears the bottom side of the table is oak veneer, and the top is teak? And the edge banding is sandwiched inside the veneer? Or am I seeing things?

ReplyQuote
DCNZ
 DCNZ
(@dcnz)
Eminent Member
16/11/2017 3:04 am  

Thanks for that Leif - boom - I guess the chairs are also Nanna Ditzel.

That is correct Oak underneath the top, sandwiched Teak clashing with a Teak veneer on top.

The table top has the female thread which is itself threaded into the table, the legs would have been turned and the end made flat and perpendicular in the lathe

Next thing I need to decide on is should I be honest to the design and re-weave in Cane as in original, or do it in Danish cord which I've done before, or initially I thought of upholstering with a very thin layer of leather but I've gone off that thanks to your designer input.

Very happy with your comments Cheers Dave

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
16/11/2017 3:07 am  

No question now, I mean you have to cane them right?

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/11/2017 3:56 am  

If you aren't interested in caning them, then sell them. No point in wasting time, effort, and money to debauch and devalue nice pieces.

In fact, based on what I see the cane can probably be salvaged. First step would be a thorough soaking on the backside to tighten the cane back up. If they haven't been wetted for years or decades, they are liable to break as soon as you sit on them.

ReplyQuote
DCNZ
 DCNZ
(@dcnz)
Eminent Member
16/11/2017 4:12 am  

The cane is pretty much had it, above pic is the best one, all have quite a lot of breaks in the cane which when touched would fall apart in your hands. the frame joints are pretty much all loose also, typical of chairs of this age dealing with the New Zealand weather conditions.

Not sure who would buy a suite with that much damage.

I did look into adding new strands etc. but when I realised how brittle the rest was decided they needed fully re-doing.

cheers Dave.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
16/11/2017 4:52 am  

That's a pretty straightforward weave. The first one will try your patience but then you'll get the hang of selecting strands and fastening them down and all the other little steps along the way and it'll go more quickly.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/11/2017 4:54 am  

You never know who you might find.

I find caning pleasant and easy (And I don't really like doing Danish cord, even though I have done dozens of seats and well). Many, perhaps most, people find caning difficult and the results show it. Unless you are willing to put the time and effort in to do it right you, you may discover that you are wasting your time. They only get to be original once. Redoing them erases all the evidence of just how the first craftsman did it.

I can't tell you how many pieces I have rescued after a misguided attempt to improve them.

And don't sand through the veneer. That is a misguided failure even I won't attempt to redeem.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register