Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
10/01/2018 3:16 pm  

Oh!

I am not aware of this BMW! Very interesting. I'm gonna do some sniffing around.

From,

Aunt Mark

ps many thanks for posting that!

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
10/01/2018 3:55 pm  

To clarify, billy_the_kid's relative car is the 1938 BMW, the image I posted is a 1920's Citroen. That Citroen would look great with your ensemble Aunt mark.

billy_the_kid, in the MoMA example by Thonet, the lacquered wood top looks like it is attached with screws from the bottom. I can't see from your image if yours was different, but it is probably irrelevant how it is attached. During that time, this was not a conventional way to make a table/furniture so it is possible(?) that modifications were made during manufacture.

ReplyQuote
billy_the_kid
(@billy_the_kid)
10/01/2018 6:18 pm  

in the first post on third picture, last chair (in beckground) could it be version of Bruno Polak RP-7

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
10/01/2018 6:32 pm  

I googled the name & it seems correct but I am not familiar with that name & I also found this image.

ReplyQuote
billy_the_kid
(@billy_the_kid)
10/01/2018 9:31 pm  

Thnx.

I suppose then it is anonymous...

ReplyQuote
billy_the_kid
(@billy_the_kid)
14/01/2018 9:52 pm  

Does anyone know, were there a variation in van der Rohe MR20 in size. The one I have is 4 cm shorter then the measurements that I saw in a L.M. van der Rohe book. (in hight), other dimensions are OK.

Could it be because of the age of the chair and the ware of material ?

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
15/01/2018 3:04 pm  

It isn

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
15/01/2018 4:11 pm  

The first/earliest version of the MR chair with full wicker seat & back had wood inserted or horizontal steel welded in the tube frames. The later version with the eisengarn textile (& much later in leather) have the curved stretcher under the seat.

billy_the_kid, please post images of what you have in your chairs when you get a chance, curious to see if they had wood instead of steel.

ReplyQuote
billy_the_kid
(@billy_the_kid)
15/01/2018 8:59 pm  

My chair has a horizontal wood between frames. They all have it, except the last chair (picture is in attachment). That chair has all metal parts.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
15/01/2018 10:54 pm  

Thanks for posting those images billy_the_kid.

What are your plans for these chairs? To keep, to sell, to restore/conserve, to use? It is a decision you have to determine.

You need to dig deeper about the history/ background of your relative's chairs like when, where & how it was acquired etc. to determine exactly if these chairs are from the late 1920s or 1930s, if the chair(s) were made by Josef Mueller or Thonet or others?

Your chairs have condition issues, if they are early period examples, they probably have value but not monetary but more for historic preservation/conservation.

If these is the direction you want to do, you need to contact museums or other 20th century design institutions in your location to see if these generate interests or if they can give you more sound advice on what to do.

The early MR chairs were first used in 1927 when Mies van der Rohe collaborated with the likes of Lily Reich, Marcel Breuer, Mart Stam, Le Corbusier & others in the Weissenhof Housing in Stuttgart to showcase a new type of housing in the new architectural style called the International Style. Is your relative house designed by a modernist architect from this period?

I do not know much about the Mies van der Rohe foundation in Barcelona if they will be of help but there is a website that you can explore.

Sorry if I brought up more questions than answers but I hope any of these helps.

ReplyQuote
billy_the_kid
(@billy_the_kid)
16/01/2018 9:31 am  

No problem for the pictures.

I would like to restore and conserve them. I have no desire to use them, if they are original from the period. On that estate from witch toes chairs are, we have a lot of photos, around 900 or so. On that photos I found all of furniture witch is still in the house, all but those chairs. As one of the cousins sad: chairs and table were in hallway, and I suppose nobody take their picture in hallway. Also we have a lot of documents, around 10 000 or so, and there is a possibility that we still have a bill for the chair, but it will take me some time to go trough all of them.

I did contact a several institutions here in Croatia, but also in Europe. That was around 10 days ago - to this day no one replayed.

The house was not designed by a modernist architect. The house was build in 1882.

Questions are good think, but on my case there is a lot of questions but little answers.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
16/01/2018 4:44 pm  

The I mages are too small in my phone but I think I spotted the B10 table & a variant of one of the chairs here. Maybe you can contact them to see if they can give you some advice.

https://www.bauhaus-dessau.de/en/exhibitions/exhibitions-international/i...

These too...

http://miessociety.org

http://miesbcn.com/the-pavilion/mies-van-der-

Eventually you will find the right person to talk to about your items. Just be prepared that you have the background information that you need about your stuff.

When I first approached design museums/institutions here in the USA in my case to donate some items, they were not very receptive at first ( I know my name is not in their donor wall of fame), even the receptionist was a snob, but as soon as I convinced them that my interests in 20th century modern design was not for profit & for academic/historic preservation, I got a curator to see the items I wanted to gift. Suddenly it was like releasing a child in a toy store on Christmas Day in my humble home.

Be patient, take your time & best of luck in your pursuit.

ReplyQuote
billy_the_kid
(@billy_the_kid)
17/01/2018 7:16 pm  

There is some more information.

A collage in a museum of architecture and design in Zagreb told me that chair could be from "Gradska kavana" (City cafe house) built in 1931, by architect Ignjat Fischer who imported Mies van der Rohe chair form aboard for the cafe house exterior.

I am expecting some new information in near future

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
17/01/2018 8:04 pm  

Very interesting information billy_the_kid, thanks for sharing. The architect Ignjat Fischer is an early modernist who brought the Seccessionist Style (which originated in Vienna Austria) to Croatia.

ReplyQuote
billy_the_kid
(@billy_the_kid)
09/01/2019 1:56 pm  

After some time, I did not find some new information about chairs, except this one and only photo from 1930s.

Investigation is still on, and hopefully I will find something about a chairs and table.

Also an expert form Thonet sad that it was not made by Thonet.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register